.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Catharsis

Dear everybody, I have been gone for a few days now, because I have been contemplating shutting down this blog. I always figured that the best way to do it is to just walk away and not say a word. Just disappear. And that was what I planned to do. The reasons are many, and you’ve probably heard them all before. But I guess the main reason was related to what happened in the last referendum, and how it was ignored by all the known big-time bloggers ( Like Buzzmachine, LGF, Instapundit, Andrew Sullivan, Dailykos) and the MSM in the US. It was like everyone chose to ignore the event, or the events that happened afterwards, and act as if the referendum was all right, that the constitutional amendment was fair, and that Egypt would soon join Lebanon and Iraq in the democratic Arab countries club. It didn’t matter how much I and every other Pro-Democracy Egyptian bloggers wrote about it, the story was never really picked up. It made me feel as if we were yelling at the storm, as if we were ineffectual and completely on our own. That we, the Egyptians, were sold out for some inexplicable reason by the rest of the world and were left completely out in the cold. That idea, naturally, left me all kinds of depressed and feeling as if this whole blogging for democracy and reforms thing was a dangerous futile waste of time. Futile because nothing would ever change and dangerous because no one will look out for us or help us out if “they” ever came after any of us. However, after some soul searching and some introspection to reassess the reasons why I started this blog in the first place, I realized that I was being a whiney bitch and that there is no way in hell that I would chose to end it. Screw it! So what if it’s futile and dangerous? I knew that when I first started this blog; that it was just going to be me ranting and raving so openly about all the things that piss me off, especially the extreme senseless anti-Americanism prevalent in this country. And yet I’ve been proven wrong at that, because everyday I get e-mails from Egyptians telling me how much they agree with me and what I have to say, which gives me hope that I am making a difference in some way. So what if we were sold out by the MSM? Like they ever do their job right anyway? And so what if the big bloggers ignored us? It’s their blogs, they can chose to post whatever they want on them (I know I do) and it’s not like we need them. It’s not like freedom in Egypt is dependent on Instapundit or Andrew Sullivan paying attention to what’s going on in the most populated Arab Islamic country (even though they should). It is, however, dependent on Egyptians paying attention, Egyptians demanding change, and Egyptians acting out and doing what they believe to be right, no matter how dangerous or futile it may be in this country of ours. We should never quit, even if everyone sells us out, because we are fighting for our country and our rights. We should never compromise, even in the face of Armageddon, because that’s where we are heading anyway if things stay the way they are. We should never hide or be afraid, even if the security forces clamp down on us and our activities after the September elections- which I believe they will- because they rely on our fear of them to do whatever they want. Not this time you bastards. We have been living in fear for far too long and by doing that we have screwed this country over. Not anymore! It stops here. At least for me! We have to stand our ground and stand up for what we believe in; otherwise we deserve whatever happens to us on the hands of the tyrants who rule us. I say screw them. It’s either us or them, and I am not going anywhere. The Sandmonkey

10 Comments:

At 6/21/2005 03:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go Sam
Mesteka

 
At 6/21/2005 03:39:00 AM, Blogger Egyptian Person said...

When everyone speaks out - locally and internationaly, including by the use of blogs, it will be a matter of time before the corrupted regime is gradually replaced - or even overthrown.
And as more and more people speak, it will become harder for this police state to monitor and harrass people for shouting their opinions.
There is no other alternative, regardless of what kind of government we have now or in the future, than to express our opinions.

 
At 6/21/2005 03:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Sam.

Your voice certainly does count, and it gives others in your country the courage to speak out. You haven't been blogging all that long. Your perspective hasn't even reached the people in many countries yet. These things take time, even on the Internet. I'm glad you decided not to quit. You have plenty to say of value!

Shari

 
At 6/21/2005 04:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just take care !!

Tse.

 
At 6/21/2005 05:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.

 
At 6/21/2005 07:42:00 AM, Blogger Highlander said...

Sam we all pass through this hopeless phase ... it's good you overcame it of course your voice counts !!!!

 
At 6/21/2005 12:38:00 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Dearest Sam,

I'm sorry I've been lapse in commenting lately. I have a few problems with computer connections. mainly, my old computer is gone and the replacement one sucks wind. I'm working on updating.

In the meantime, I wanted to tell you that I would be very sad if you went away from the blog world.

You have connected me to many other bloggers from the area, whether I agree with them or not and it has been an eye opener, to say the least.

In what other forum could we ever talk people to people and know what the people say and not the blah, blah, blah of politicians?

If not for you, I would have continued to imagine Egypt to be full of anti-American, anti-democracy folks on par with a number of other countries in the area.

That's my old opinion anyway. From you and GM and many others, I have learned that there are people who demand freedom and democracy, too and don't think that blowing up people in the name of God is a good thing.

That last comment is a bit sarcastic towards myself since, before this medium of blogging, it was easy to dismiss whole areas of the world as hopeless.

You are one of the good guys, getting people together here who would otherwise have ignored each other and assumed the worst.

Don't give up. You know, it's sad, but true, Egypt is not as volatile as other areas and the protests have yet to net over 10k so it means everyone sees egypt as stable if ever slowly moving in some direction.

I imagine, someday soon, when iraq calms down and Syria stops assassinating the opposition in Lebanon, Egypt will get it's moment in the sun.

The start has to be Condi's speech telling people that arresting or harming people that peacefully petition their government is wrong, no matter what, will get more attention to the matter.

In the mean time, you are still one of the funniest ranters on the net, so don't give up. You've got readers and you are being heard.

I once said, even if one person only ever read my blog and it changed their mind, I would be happy. Well, I don't have readership like LGF, but I have had the pleasure of knowing that I changed, not one, but TWO people's minds.

In this world, what more can you ask for?

I bet you've done the same. That is worth more than gold. You're a rich man by any means.

Stay in there and keep up the fight. No time to go down now. In the words of Winston Churchill:

We have not yet begun to fight!

 
At 6/21/2005 11:07:00 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Put my "me too" in there, urging you to keep blogging, SM! You have a wonderful sense of humor and post on interesting issues. It's people like you that can change minds and open people's eyes. It's very hard to ignore an opinion when it's presented with so much wit :)

 
At 6/21/2005 11:25:00 PM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Awww..

Did i mention how much i love you guys?

 
At 6/24/2005 08:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your voice is important. Keep blogging. You don't know who reads you. You are a proverbial "voice crying in the wilderness". How many human beings in the history of mankind have had an opportunity to communicate to the world their desire for freedom. Speak for all the silenced people here and gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home