.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Monday, October 24, 2005

Cairo's gatekeeprs

Here is an incredibly funny and true article on cairo's true gatekeepers: the bawabeen. (Thanks Ron) The bowab, or doorman, is a spy quietly amassing a damning security file, a Koran-wielding hard-liner ready to bust up an inappropriate romantic liaison, a grudge-carrying handyman who melts into the smoggy air just when a stingy resident is most in need. Every savvy Cairene knows just how important it is to stroke, butter up and slip spare cash to the bowab. It's an Egyptian truism that the bowab sees you before you see him, and that there is no secret too small to escape his snooping. So true. Read the whole thing.

5 Comments:

At 10/24/2005 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Candace April said...

Thanks for the article--this is one of the reasons I check your blog daily. I would never know about most of these articles if you had not linked to them!

 
At 10/24/2005 01:19:00 PM, Blogger Marisa said...

When I lived in Cairo, I got locked out of the apartment building one day. The bowab gained entry to the apartment below us, and shimmied from their balcony onto ours (five floors up). He easily opened the locked sliding glass door, entered our place, and met us at our own front door. Disturbing or comforting? You decide.

 
At 10/24/2005 02:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like a male version of the traditional concierges in Paris.

 
At 10/24/2005 09:11:00 PM, Blogger Hadeel said...

i dont understand how you are coping with the arabic simpsons. i dont get it here, but i just found out about it. it must be shameful.

 
At 10/25/2005 02:34:00 AM, Blogger Ron Larson said...

I dunno about you. If I had a troll living under the stairs in my apartment block who stuck his nose in my business and then tried to blackmail me, I'd think I would have to introduce him to "Mr. Fisty".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home