.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Maybe it's just my bad mood today..

.. but I honestly think that this woman is my new Hero! A Spanish mother has taken revenge on the man who raped her 13-year-old daughter at knifepoint by dousing him in petrol and setting him alight. He died of his injuries in hospital on Friday. Antonio Cosme Velasco Soriano, 69, had been sent to jail for nine years in 1998, but was let out on a three-day pass and returned to his home town of Benejúzar, 30 miles south of Alicante, on the Costa Blanca. While there, he passed his victim's mother in the street and allegedly taunted her about the attack. He is said to have called out "How's your daughter?", before heading into a crowded bar. Shortly after, the woman walked into the bar, poured a bottle of petrol over Soriano and lit a match. She watched as the flames engulfed him, before walking out. The woman fled to Alicante, where she was arrested the same evening. When she appeared in court the next day in the town of Orihuela, she was cheered and clapped by a crowd, who shouted "Bravo!" and "Well done"! I would've cheered with them. I so would've! In my opinion that woman is awesome for doing what she did and what happend to the man was justice. And if i was in a Jury i would never convict her! I would've done the exact same thing if i were in her place and I saw the man that raped my 13 year old daughter walking on the street and taunting me. You wouldn't have?

8 Comments:

At 6/26/2005 07:22:00 AM, Blogger Twosret said...

This is too much for me :(

 
At 6/26/2005 07:58:00 AM, Blogger Louise said...

I don't know if I could have done it, but I know that the justice system in my country does a piss poor job of handling creeps like that. I'll add my own "bravo!" to her and I hope the Spanish courts are lenient with her.

 
At 6/26/2005 09:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can appreciate why she did it but it's a very bad idea to suggest that it's OK for people to run around setting others on fire because they are (or people think they are - mistaken identity is a huge problem) criminals. She should get at the very least symbolic penalty of some kind.

What I also want to know is how on Earth a 69-year old woman managed to douse a man with gas and set him on fire. He didn't fight back? Was he held down by others?

- Adam

 
At 6/26/2005 12:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By taunting her, he certainly asked for it. Had he apologised, he would be alive today.

On the other hand, two wrongs don't make a right. Murdering rapists is wrong.

The whole point of having a legal system is to prevent these person-to-person feuds.

 
At 6/26/2005 03:23:00 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Don, I think it's fair to say that the legal system failed in this case. The man obviosuly feels no remorse, otherwise he wouldn't have gone out of his way to taunt the Mother. And I can't believe they let him out on an unsupervised furlough - he's a pedophile and a sexual predator!

The right answer is for society to do a better job with protecting citizens from this sort of heinous victimizer. But until that happens (we do a bad job of it here in the US too!) I can't really blame this woman for what she did. Although burning him to death is... way too much. I think I would have hired a couple local thugs to maybe bust him up so bad he'd never be able to victimize somebody again.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this case. As I said, I can't really blame her for what she did, but I suspect the premeditation and the extreme cruelty of her vigilante justice is going to get her in a lot of trouble.

 
At 6/26/2005 04:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a total failure on the part of the Spanish justice system. The guy was out of jail on "leave"?

The mother has had to live with a daughter who's life has been completely changed by that louse.

Could I have done it? Yeah, I think I could. Would I have done it? I really don't know.

 
At 6/26/2005 06:23:00 PM, Blogger Ron Larson said...

Boy. If there was ever a case of temporary insanity, that would be it. I'd snap too.

What on earth was this guy doing on "leave", going into a pub? He should have been locked up in prison.

 
At 6/27/2005 01:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not with you, Sam, on this one. While I can feel with the woman (having two young daughters myself) I cannot condone her action.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home