.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Private Post: How I make her feel...

She fears him, and will always ask
What fated her to choose him;
She meets in his engaging mask
All reasons to refuse him.
But what she meets and what she fears
Are less than are the downward years,
Drawn slowly to the foamless weirs
Of age, were she to lose him. Between a blurred sagacity
That once had power to sound him,
And Love, that will not let him be
The Judas that she found him,
Her pride assuages her almost
As if it were alone the cost--
He sees that he will not be lost,
And waits, and looks around him. A sense of ocean and old trees
Envelops and allures him;
Tradition, touching all he sees,
Beguiles and reassures him.
And all her doubts of what he says
Are dimmed by what she knows of days,
Till even Prejudice delays
And fades, and she secures him. The falling leaf inaugurates
The reign of her confusion;
The pounding wave reverberates
The dirge of her illusion.
And Home, where passion lived and died,
Becomes a place where she can hide,
While all the town and harbor side
Vibrate with her seclusion.
Eros Turannos, Edwin Arlington Robinson

15 Comments:

At 6/28/2005 11:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You in the doghouse buddy?

 
At 6/28/2005 11:35:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Ahh ya Kimo, entah mia mia LoL

I think you somewhat missed the point.

But thanks anyway, you made me laugh! :)

 
At 6/28/2005 11:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautifull SM :)

Karim , you got it all wrong. Read it again!

 
At 6/28/2005 06:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I get it..but would you explain...I don't want to embarrass myself in case I'm wrong! sis from the usa

 
At 6/28/2005 06:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well..I finally found the meaning of the poem on the internet. I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight if I hadn't!! :-) sis from the usa

 
At 6/29/2005 12:47:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Ramez,
I guess it depends on the way you look at it or what it potentially means to you.

It doesn't signify desperation to me. More like invetiability!

 
At 6/29/2005 04:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's kind of sad SM. What made you post that poem?

 
At 6/29/2005 05:02:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Anonymous

I thought the title kind of explained that!

 
At 6/29/2005 08:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so who's she ?

 
At 6/29/2005 09:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feared him and he lost Me..so sometimes it works that way
A beautiful piece that really hit a cord even though i am not a poetry girl..

 
At 6/29/2005 09:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feared him and he lost Me..so sometimes it works that way
A beautiful piece that really hit a cord even though i am not a poetry girl..

 
At 6/29/2005 09:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops --sorry for hitting it twice...it is age

 
At 6/29/2005 10:48:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Anonymous

a gentleman never tells! :)


MM&I

I know exactly what you mean!

I am glad that it touched you. It touched me the first time I've read it 3 years ago, and i am glad i did, because it explicitly describes the situation with "her".

It's weird, i am almost glad that things are the way they are, because it gave me the chance to relate to and use this piece.

 
At 6/29/2005 04:37:00 PM, Blogger egyptiansally said...

i'm not too keen on this poem, but it's got 2 great images--
"Drawn slowly to the foamless weirs of age.../Becomes a place where she can hide, while all the town and harbor side vibrate with her seclusion."

 
At 6/30/2005 12:37:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Sally,

Of course you don't like it. It rhymes. You are allergic to rhymeing poetry.

Anyway, i love the whole last stanza from the reverberates to the vibrates with ehr seclusion. It gives out this whole "shaky" imagery, that shows how disorienting and confusing the situation the woman in the poem is in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home