.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Anti-Terrorism Protest Today

*updated* Kimo is organizing it from Boston and I am helping him by getting the word out and organizing it. Stop complaining about others and realize your own apathy. Tomorrow the 24 of July at 5:30pm on the 6 of October bridge between Zamalek and Tahrir. There will be banners available but you are encouraged to bring your own. It should last until sunset. He is urging people to wear white T-Shirts. I might not be able to come for Work reasons, but I will try anyway. If I end up going, I won't be wearing white though. I will be the one wearing the Black T-shirt that has "Fuck you" in sign language on it. I think it would send an..ehh..appropriate message to those fuckers who bombed us. To the local egyptians who are reading this: BRING EVERYONE YOU KNOW! Ohh, and if anyone has a camera, bring it. (Ehh, where is O when you need him?) Peace UPDATE: Screw Work! I am going! UPDATE: All the egyptian Bloggers : Please disregard your differences and come! UPDATE: We should meet at the Zamalek Exit of the Bridge ( @ le Pacha's side) and group ourselves there, since the Zamalek-Tahrir stretch is far too big. UPDATE: The Anti-Mubarak, Kifayah, Ayman Nour people disgust me with their indifference. Whenever we contact one of them, they tell us that they are not interested, that it may not benefit them politically, because it may benefit Mubarak. You know what? This isn't about being pro or anti-Mubarak. This is about Egypt and what happend to it. I mean the americans and the british put their differences aside, but no, not us. Like if they show up suddenly Mubarak will win the elections and they will forfeit their chances to lose. Fuckin morons! This is not about Mubarak. This is about this country being attacked. Stop being stupid! UPDATE: This whole thing is so disorganized it is killing me. I contacted GM and Mohamed personally, so I know they are coming. However, Karim is nowhere to be found and he forgot to give me a way to contact his brother here. There is also the issue of the Security permit: There is no response from Alaa if he did get it or not; and I am trying my hardest with Najla to get one, but with the state of emergency the police is in it might be close to impossible. It might be wiser to postpone it till friday, but since I can't reach Karim's people (The organizer who is sleeping) I can't call them and reschedule. So I guess it is still on for today. Here is what I am gonna do: I will be trying to get the clearance until 4 pm. If I can't, then there is almost no point in going unless i am looking to get arrested and I know that Big Pharaoh feels the same way. Hmmph. Stay tuned! UPDATE: The Egyptian Blogosphere disgusts me. I e-mailed and contacted about 26 bloggers so far, and like all I got was like 2-3 responses, even though those other people posted after i e-mailed them and left them comments, so they must've saw the e-mails and the comments. Bunch of cowardly wussies, bunch of talkers. They don't even have the guts to say that they are afraid to do it, they will just keep their distance, look away and afterwards they will say "well, I wanted really to come, but I got the e-mail too late, blah blah". Whatever. To counter that excuse I am thinking about forming another anti-terrorism protest on Friday after the Noon Prayers. The one today is still on ( for now anyway), but I am thinking about organizing another one, on the first friday after it happens, should be a powerful statement, and it should also give us enough time to organize and get the clearances that we need and stuff. God knows we can't have enough Anti-Terrorism protests, you know? UPDATE: So our valiant efforts to get that security permit has failed, since the guy we know, the head of the Police in el Zamalek has his cellphone shut-off because , I shit you not, securing a game of soccer in Nasr City. So this is what is going to happen: The people will go, and if for any reason we are told to leave or disperse by the security apparatus, we will. No arguing, especially that i am getting some reports about a small bomb killing one person in Kerdassah, a town that is west of Giza. It is sad that we have to tiptoe to do something like that, but things are tense, so we need to keep it cool. On a sad note, I won't be wearing my Black shirt with my "message", because we don't want to incite anyone. Better luck next time I suppose!

20 Comments:

At 7/23/2005 04:32:00 PM, Blogger Beth said...

white t-shirts...White Revolution? (like the Orange Revolution or something?)
White shirts symbolizing PURITY (as opposed to evil--and corruption, while you're at it), I assume? ;-)

D00d, you're on f'n fire the last few days!

 
At 7/23/2005 05:05:00 PM, Blogger Papa Ray said...

F@ck work, call in sick, go and wear a white tshirt
and take your black one and put it on a stick with a wire holding it out so it can be read.

If you don't go, you will be kicking yourself later and you can't say a word to anyone else that didn't go for whatever reason.

Do it, actions speak for themselves, talk is cheap.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

 
At 7/23/2005 08:30:00 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

Yes SM please do your best to go. This is an anti-terrorist protest, peaceful protest.

We will help you Sam from here I promise we will.

 
At 7/24/2005 01:09:00 AM, Blogger AK said...

Sandmonkey

GM mentioned trying to organise something in Egypt on his site

glad you are OK

 
At 7/24/2005 04:56:00 AM, Blogger ghandy said...

May I just request that we don't behave in a way that would block half Cairo traffic...
It's another kind of terrorism, you know

 
At 7/24/2005 05:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF? whoever told you I was going to help getting a security permit?

it is against my principles to beg for what is my right to do, I'm against asking for permits to begin with, and I've no idea how to go about getting one.

 
At 7/24/2005 05:03:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Will do my best not to stand in the middle of the road.
Yabny it will be on the sidewalk. If people slow down to watch us, not out fault now is it?

 
At 7/24/2005 05:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh so protesters who block traffic are terrorists, nice the number of terrorists just grew by millions and me included.

glad to see how the issue of terrorism is bringing us all together instead of dividing us. sheeesh

 
At 7/24/2005 05:06:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Alaa:
LOL.
This whole thing is becoming funny.

I was given the impression that Karim was talking you into getting one.
Oh well.

What's even funnier is that Karim's brother is in France. The Sahis are both outside of Egypt and yet theya re the organizers.

The whole thing is messed up!

 
At 7/24/2005 05:07:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Alaa, ignore Ghandy's comment. I think he was joking.

Chill ya ibny!

 
At 7/24/2005 05:43:00 AM, Blogger Highlander said...

Sandmonkey ....good luck yabni to you and the others , and another protest after Friday prayers would be good too ( an aside joke lol it would be the first time to see you on Friday prayers ;) )...
Anyway rabena ma3akum

 
At 7/24/2005 06:58:00 AM, Blogger Mohamed said...

My say. Call today's protest off. Organize one next Friday to come out after the prayers from Azhar mosque. Sure, try to get a security clearance if possible, but more important is to get publicity.

Just heard someone blew himself up in Kerdasa!

 
At 7/24/2005 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Solomon said...

Dude, you amaze me. I'm not clear on the time-zone thing so I assume this has either happened or not by now? Good luck on this one and the next time should you decide to take another stab at it. Be sure to take lots of pictures and email them out to a couple of us if hosting is an issue for you. I would be happy to mirror them and obscure faces if that's a concern.

 
At 7/24/2005 09:33:00 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Hey...waiting for an update, dude.

I'm tring to find out if there was an anti-terror protest.

 
At 7/24/2005 10:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much for the 'opposition'

 
At 7/24/2005 10:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's done. Very small turnout and the cops made them leave but proportionally significant coverage nonetheless. To the handful of people that were there… Egypt thanks you. I am very proud to be an Egyptian today.

Photos will be up shortly.

Special thanks to Twosret, Sandmonkey, Highlander, BP, Mindbleed, Eid, Sara, Hiekal, Nadine, and everyone else that helped, posted, organized, took pictures, and went or posted.


Karim Elsahy

 
At 7/24/2005 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Twosret said...

SM You are great! thanks for helping so much. Thanks to MMI, Loulou, doshar, ChaösGnösis and all the poeple who posted on all blogs to encourage Egyptians to fight terrorism.

SM I want to assure you that Karim worked very hard to get this started, people had very short notice to show up. I'm sure that the next one will be big.

We the arab-americans are here to support you all and help you. Whatever you want us to do to work for peace and anti-terrorism we will do.

Please don't get discouraged by any negative comments.

Twosret
pray4peace.org

 
At 7/24/2005 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Omar said...

Sandmonkey,
Do not let these things deter you my friend; a few brave individuals CAN make a change.
Go to the demonstartion and say your word, our hearts are with you.

Good Luck.

 
At 7/24/2005 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Mister Ghost said...

Sam,
I'm glad you tried and hope you post pictures and links to news stories about the protest.

 
At 7/24/2005 12:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SandMonkey,
Bravo. I saw the pictures on Karim's website. Don't worry about the small numbers; every little counts. Next time there will surely be more. all the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home