.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Friday, September 09, 2005

The so called election sweep

Turn-out for the election was 30%. I repeat, 30%. The remaining 70% couldn't vote because they didn't have voting cards and couldn't get them. So the man had 70-80% of a 30% turn-out. Is that, like, a win? It sounds like the majority of people who voted were the Police, the army and the remaining government bodies who were all forced to vote Mubarak. Power to the people indeed! Ohh, and the not-corrupt-at-all former UN Secretary General Boutrous Ghaly has presided over the government's own Human rights council has indictaed that nothing at all was wrong in this election. "The electoral process proceeded normally and no intervention by the security in the voting process in a way that undermined the freedom of voters or secrecy of the voting was observed," he said in a preliminary report on the poll." I guess Boutrous didn't read Ritzy's ever-growing list of Election irregularities, huh? Anyone know his e-mail? I could send him a link! Anyone? Sigh...


At 9/09/2005 03:31:00 AM, Anonymous Alaa said...

focus mon, focus, it is even worse than that.

it is 30% of registered voters.

so we are talking 80% of 30% of 31 million (that is if the 80% figure is against all votes and not against valid ones, many will invalidate their votes).

so tops he got 6-8 million votes. subtract the forgeries and you get mubarak's true weight.

thats amounting to less than 10% of society, and I don't fucking care that most of this country is too young to vote, they might be too young to vote but they're not too young to realize how corrupt the regime is (you shouldhave seen the teenagers who joined our march).

R wrote a good piece about this whole mess

At 9/09/2005 03:59:00 AM, Blogger R said...

Yeah. I agree with Alaa, although what I expect here (the post Alaa talked about) is that the media will talk about "sweeping victory" and "70% of Egyptians.

I mainly think that reporting the turnout is really a trouble for NDP.
If they say it was high, they give more power to the rising Ayman Nour, if they say it's low.. Shame on them. They failed-screwed elections!

At 9/09/2005 05:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know where you got that figure from & if its authentic or not, but to say that 70% werent able to vote is a gross exaggeration, I am one who didnt go & know alot who didnt bother either. Why? cos i hate crowds & qeueing...you know if they exaggerate, you dont have to do that too. the problem doesnt lie with one person, but in the masses, they need to be educated first.

At 9/09/2005 07:45:00 PM, Anonymous PE said...

70% of 30% is actually a legitimate win. It's certainly just as legitimate as Bush winning with 50% of 50%.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home