.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A tech question

A lot of people are informing me that they are getting lots of annoying POP-UP ads when they log on my site and it's pissing them off. Knowing that I visit this like 5 times a day and never encounterd one, I am guessing the pop-ups are targeting those with US IP's. Either way, I have nothing to do with it, and I don't know how to make it go away, which pisses me off because A) I hate pop-up ads, B) I am not getting paid for them, C) I don't like people harassing my readers and D) I HATE, SERIOULSY HATE, POP-UP ADS. Did I say that already? Well, here it is again for emphasis. I fuckin loathe them. The first person who wrote their code should get disemboweld with a spoon. A wooden one at that. Anyway... So I am asking those tech savvy amongst you to give me advice on what to do. Is My Blog hacked? Does anyone know how to make the pop-ups stop? Are crawlers involved? Is there someone I can bitch at to make this stop? Just point me to the way people, I am very good at bithcing. Or tell me how to solve the problem, because I have no idea how to solve it myself. So , yeah, please help me out here if you know how to make this stop. Thanks

15 Comments:

At 11/29/2005 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use Mozilla Firefox

 
At 11/29/2005 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Honestly, today for the first time I started getting pop ups that my blocker is blocking. I never noticed before that my blocker was even having to do this on your blog before today.

So, the question is, what have you linked to or added to your blog in the last week that may be bringing in the pop ups?

I will also ask around because I don't get pop ups on my blog which is also a blogspot.

 
At 11/29/2005 01:00:00 PM, Blogger Chimera said...

I get the pop-ups once in awhile, but not always. I usually get it when I access your comments section. And I have a Canadian IP address...

The really annoying thing about your pop-ups is that you can't just "X" them out. If you try that, you get another pop-up that follows your cursor around the damned page like a starving puppy! The way I get rid of it is to hit the refresh button (because when the second pop-up is following your cursor, you can't get to the "X").

It's not fatal. It's just annoying. And I'm not holding you responsible.

 
At 11/29/2005 01:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These people are infected by spyware.

Go to microsoft.com, put 'spyware' in the search box, and download the anti-spyware tool.

 
At 11/29/2005 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Chimera said...

true lebanese: I already have the anti-spyware. Yes, that anti-spyware. And three firewalls. Try again?

 
At 11/29/2005 01:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The popups appear because it's part of your Webstats4U statistic service (once known as Nedstat Basic), that implies that you accept random popups on your blog. This stats service you use is free but it is "paid" by those ads. They appear because they are launched by the javascript that you included in your Blogger template in order to make the stats service to run. In their "terms of service" (http://www.webstats4u.com/terms/) you can find, written in legalese, that popup ads may occasionally come out.
Clear as mud, huh ? Anyway, if you need more info, feel free to ask me (basically, you should get rid of Webstats4u and keep your Statcounter service). Ciao

 
At 11/29/2005 02:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My computer is very well protected with spyware and Macafee security center. I have not encountered any problems with my surfing except on SM and Higlander blog.

It is annoying because every single time I click on a topic here it pops up GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

 
At 11/29/2005 03:19:00 PM, Blogger CMAR II said...

SM,
I recommend Adsfreestats. You get a lot of detailed information for free, and while you get popups when *you* log on to view your stats, your readers do not.

http://www.addfreestats.com/

 
At 11/29/2005 04:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have trend micro spyware and I dont get any popups. I have a us IP.

 
At 11/29/2005 05:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm using Safari and have my setting set to no pop-ups but it is still getting through.

 
At 11/29/2005 05:39:00 PM, Blogger Jehan said...

No pop ups... Canadian IP and using a Mac.

 
At 11/29/2005 11:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wana stop the popup? One solution: download Microsot Service Pack 2

 
At 11/30/2005 04:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vox Populi, I have downloaded Microsoft Service Pack 2 and I get the pop up ads. If Sandmonkey was a least getting a bit of dough for it I could put up with it.

From Australia so it is more than the US IP.

 
At 11/30/2005 03:13:00 PM, Blogger Papa Ray said...

Another thing to mention.

Everyone should clean out their computer at least once a week.

Runs faster and gets rid of a lot of problems.

I and my buds all use this cleaner.

Its free, fast and lets you select what to clean and what not to clean.

I leave it to the default and clean it all out.

Feels so much better.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

 
At 11/30/2005 03:17:00 PM, Blogger Papa Ray said...

Forgot to mention, I also use Ad Aware and update it about every two days.

It removes all that nasty spyware.

Papa Ray

 

Post a Comment

<< Home