.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Honorable non-mention

The Israeli Newspaper Haartez has quoted me without mentioning my name (My blogname). It's always either "an egyptian blogger" or no mention of me and just a link to my blog. I am starting to wonder , since this seems to happen often, if this blog's name is the reason. I look at times at people who link to me in their posts, and when they mention that the blogger refers to himself as "The Sandmonkey", they are quickly to announce that it's my term and not theirs or that they are not being racist or- my own personal favorites- those who claim to be offended by the term. I am starting to think that maybe this name makes some people uncomfortable, and maybe, as a smart Business move, i should rename the blog. Yeah right. People, have a sense of humor, and in case you didn't read that, here is the reason behind the naming. So stop being so sensitive, will ya? Jebus!

11 Comments:

At 8/03/2005 03:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps people can refer to your blogname as ''SM''. You get a lot of blogs calling you SM. Although one can easily associate that with ''sado-mado'' -:))

 
At 8/03/2005 08:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if they mention your blog name, how safe will you be then?

This isn't Boston, Totto.

SK

 
At 8/03/2005 08:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sandmonkey" always makes me think of the Psammead or Sand-fairy in the book "Five Children and It" by E. Nesbit. It is a magic creature that lives in the desert and has eyes on stalks. It can grant wishes. Sorry, the original illustrations don't seem to be on the web anywhere.

 
At 8/03/2005 09:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction, there is a very small copy of the original Psammead picture here:
http://www.lancasterukonline.net/reviews/previews/05park.htm
- ignore lots of pictures of a really bad model made for a TV version.

 
At 8/03/2005 09:09:00 AM, Blogger jj mollo said...

I love your blogname. It is a like a stick-in-the-eye to all those hyper-serious people who want respect without earning it. It reminds me of a story I've heard about the Society of Friends, who were persecuted in England because of their religion, peacable though it was. People called the members "Quakers" (meaning quivering or shaking people), because of the physical intensity of their prayer style. Instead of accepting the insult, they took this as a sign of respect, and were very successful, in no small part because of this open-hearted response.

Remember that a monkey is, pound for pound, much stronger than a human, and certainly quicker on his feet. Stay strong and quick, and keep your eyes open.

 
At 8/03/2005 09:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a middle aged american female, who was married to an Arab for 16 years, I can honestly say that I never heard the "Sandmonkey" term until I found your blog. And I think anyone who would find that term offensive must be EXTREMELY sensitive and must even be looking for offenses. I think it's kind of cute if you want to know the truth. Don't bow to the pc culture and change it. Just MHO.

 
At 8/03/2005 12:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the geography of Egypt... your name is just fine.

 
At 8/03/2005 12:25:00 PM, Blogger yochanan said...

frankly i love your attitude buddy.

 
At 8/04/2005 02:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,

I am not convinced that the reason is Ha'aretz hyper senstivity to implications of racism.

My experience is that many of the editors and staff are so full of themselves and so sure that they are "the light onto the nations" that smaller issues like factual correctness and attributing credits get overlooked.

Have you contacted them and complained? If not, what you allow me to point it out?

 
At 8/04/2005 03:50:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Sure Ruth. Go ahead.

 
At 8/04/2005 12:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is also the issue that since not all Egyptians relish having Israeli attention pointed at them, papers like Ha'aretz prefer to be circumspect unless they know the Egyptian in question is cool about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home