.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Sunday, August 14, 2005

OCD? Moi?

Yesterday, after i came back from Andrea's place, I decided I was going to do some organizing. It was 7 pm, and I was expecting an overseas phone call around 8 pm, so I decided to try to be productive for a change and maybe organize something. Looking over the mess that is my bedroom, I decided that I will organize my DVD's and CD's and put them all in CD wallets instead of their cases. I figured I would start with the DVD's first, then work my way to the CD's if there is time. This exercise made it clear to me in very short time that, when I decide to organize something, I am borderline psycho organizing dude. I decided that I will organize them DVD's by putting the double DVD discs all together at the beginning, and then put movies that have sequels after that, then put the excellent stand-up comedy DVD's together( Lewis Black, Chris Rock, Bill Maher and George Carlin, thank you very much) and then the comedies (stoner comedy movies a la "Half Baked" & "Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle" have their own section too), then Sci-fi flicks and-last but not least-the Action movies. I was removing DVD's, reshuffling their locations, making mental arguments about whether a movie like "Hollywood Homicide" deserves to be placed under Action, Comedy or should be just thrown in the trash can, and wondering how the hell "Legends of the Fall" and-get this- "Chasing Papi" made it to my DVD collection. In short, I was scaring the shit out my self! What was even scarier was the amount of DVD's I had: 120 DVD's, not counting the DVD TV series collections. 120 DVD's. If i paid 20 dollars each, since the special edition crap costs more, that's $2400 right there. That's a lot of money. What the hell is wrong with me? But the scariest of all was the CD organizing, cause I had to separate the actual CD's that I bought, from the CD's I made, and from the CD's whose sheer presence in my collection was making me wonder if I had "Multiple personalities disorder", cause I could never recall buying this crap. The last category included: a Barry Manilow CD, a "Barry White greatest hits collection" CD, a Britney Spears CD (What?), The "Essential Eric Clapton" CD, a ABBA greatest hits CD (huh?), a single by Whitney Houston, and not 1, but 2, 2 (WTF?) Christina Aguilera CD's. I swear to god had i found a "Jessica Simpson" CD there i would've slit my wrist with it. How did those CD's get here? The only logical explanation that they belonged to an ex of mine, but that just opens up another array of questions, because i would never date a girl who was gay to the degree of buying 2 Christina Aguilera's CD's. Plus, Barry White? Nothing against the man, but I have never met a Barry White fan my age. And don't even bring up Barry Manilow; Jimmy Buffet is cool, Barry Manilow isn't! Sorry Barry Manilow fans out there, but you have to face the truth that he SUCKS! And yet he somehow managed to find his way into my CD collection. How in the world, I may never know. Luckily, while i was smack in the middle of my CD-collection-existential-crisis, that phone call I was waiting for finally arrived, and took me away from all of that. But I know, that everytime I will open that CD wallet, I might be confronted with those hideous CD's, and the thought sends a cold shiver down my spine. Christina Aguilera. Jesus!

4 Comments:

At 8/14/2005 04:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post! Ironically, I am just headed down to the basement to organize myself, and will be "archiving" my collection of stereo albums--you know, the wax 33 rpms. No telling what I'm going to find in there (at least one Barry Manilow, since I started buying records in 1972 or so--6th grade). Maybe I'll try your organizational system. I'll set up a section called "Lame". LOL

 
At 8/14/2005 07:39:00 AM, Blogger Highlander said...

SM, you can put any unwanted CDs/DVDs in a special bag with my name on it, give them away when i come to Egypt lol. I have Barry White tape ...take that and I found a Shirley Bassey one in my collection ...hm but I think these are dad's stuff ....hope you enjoyed the phone call ;)

 
At 8/14/2005 11:11:00 AM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Wow... Barry Manilow. I forgot about him! Why do they play Christina Aguilera at Gitmo, when they could be playing Barry Manilow? He's Jewish too, free bonus!

 
At 8/14/2005 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

ebay baby ebay sell them and make some money :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home