.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I ended up voting after all

Here is the story: This morning when i went to vote they informed me that since my name wasn't registerd and that I didn't have a voting card that I couldn't really vote. That was fine by me because the people who did this was NDP people who thought that I would vote for Mubarak, so I thought that they at least weren't rigging the vote that way and keeping it semi-honorable, You know? It wasn't much, but at least it made me believe that they weren't that bad. Think again.... The thing that I noticed, and everybody who monitored noticed, was the fact that no one actually went and voted. People believed that the vote was rigged, and that it didn't matter, while the fact that they decalred that you need a voting card discouraged others who wanted to vote but didn't have one. This naturally caused a really low-turnout, so low it actually undermined the vote. It would be hard to claim that 16+ million people voted when you don't see anybody at the polling stations, you know? So the campaign to get out the vote started: They anounced on TV that people are encouraged to come down and vote, they sent trucks to drive around Cairo with speakers urging people to vote, they tried everything. Apparently things got so desperate they started calling people whom they know couldn't vote and tried to get them to go. I was one of those people. I told them that I didn't have a voting card, they said no problem. I told them I wasn't registerd, they said no problem. Just go to this specific polling station and meet this person and they will allow you to vote (they thought I was voting for Mubarak). I asked if I could bring friends who too would want to vote for Mubarak, and they said sure. Just bring them in with you when you meet that person who will facilitate it for you. Cool! I called my friends and they expresed interest, I called BP and he wanted to come too, but couldn't due to work, so we went without him. We got there, I was wearing my Pro Mubarak paraphanelia, and spoke to the person whose name I was given. They took our ID's and gave them to the person registering the people who are voting. When they asked me about the voting card, I pointed to her, they noded and gave me a ballot. I filled it and dropped it in the box, and so did my friends. Neither one of us voted for Mubarak, altough we used the corruption of his people to allow us to vote. There was a sense of poetic justice here and I loved it. So yeah, I got the red finger, and I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of it. So I guess the one in the post below will work. I am sure my vote won't really count in the end, but at least I voted, I registerd my defiance at the corrupt system we live in by using it against its creators and by their consent. That's all I wanted to do really. Just one last act of disobedience while I still could. Some people told me that that was stupid, that there will be reprucussions, that I am sure to get my ass whopped for all of the shit I've said and done. They are probably right, but you know what? It was worth it! Every single second of it! GO EGYPT!

14 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Kat said...

dude...you are becoming such an activist! I dig it.

Power to the people and all that jazz.

 
At 9/07/2005 02:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sand Man,

You remind me of another Iraqi and his friends (the folks over at Healing Iraq) who were one of the few who voted no to Saddam Hussein staying in power. They said they were scared sh*tless for the next couple of weeks. LOL, that was quite moving and entertaining at the same time. I love it!



jonas976

 
At 9/07/2005 02:45:00 PM, Blogger ritzy said...

Silly thing is that I thought about it all day since you posted this morning that you were going to vote and I became convinced that you actually were going to vote for Mubarak. I tried to find you at the polling stations in Kit Kat, Bulaq, Shubra Khema and such places where I imagine you might like to be hanging around; I didn't leave my car but I had a good sight of the people but I didn't see you so it was really a waste of time - but it would have been great to have that picture of you hugging NDP officials while throwing a visible vote for the party leader.

Since it's semi-confirmed since last week that my phone now is tapped and today's lock-out from blogger made me even more paranoid, let us together butter them up: WE LOVE MUBARAK!

They don't torture women too, do they?

 
At 9/07/2005 02:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, why don't you register to vote for the November parliamentary elections?

 
At 9/07/2005 04:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Sandmonkey! There is a saying that there is no use complaining if your not going to do anything about it. You have had the guts to follow up with your ideals. I congratulate you.

 
At 9/07/2005 04:14:00 PM, Blogger Highlander said...

ألف مبروك
I am laughing and enjoying this .Congratulations:)

 
At 9/07/2005 05:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM, you said a couple of days ago that you felt like a coward when you saw the eyes of that young boy at the Ayman Noor rally. Well that is how I feel here in my comfortable American home reading about your trials (and those of your fellow Egyptians / bloggers). Don't sell yourself short! You're doing great and even though you can't see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, day shall come again.

 
At 9/07/2005 05:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I feel bad sounding a sour note on this first really really small step towards democracy, I don't have a positive feeling about this. The whole thing is so rigged that no honest person can call this a fair election, but it has enough of the appearance of a vote that tyrants all over the region will use it as a model for their own elections.

What the Iraqis achieved was something quite different than what has taken place in Egypt today. The vote for the Iraqi National Assembly may seemed chaotic at times, but it was the chaos of a people truly voting for the first time in their lives and it was the chaos of true debate where people could express opposing views. In contrast the Egyptian "chaos" was caused by voter apathy and government incompetence. Hopefully Iraq and not Egypt will be the new model for the people of the Middle East.

 
At 9/07/2005 07:46:00 PM, Blogger newc said...

If there are EVER reprucussions, I may wonder where my favorite blog went. Then, they will learn reprucussions.

It takes time, guy. I know you all are itching for something more but sometimes it takes more time. Especially when a fire spreads that no one can stop.

I AM more for security for Egypt than immediate change. But CHANGE WILL HAPPEN.

This Government must be held to the same high standards that all governments should and it should eventually set up Government to ENSURE long term prosperity and wealth of the people - as well as security withought undue persecution. (persecution goes both ways)

I have voted for the "Bad Guy" a time or two.

Look for leaders in Egypt. Too many smart people to have such limited choice.
It takes time, and there is much to learn about a government before you try to replace the leaders.

Bless your heart. Not a day goes by that I do not read your postings and smile a great big shit eating grin.

Yup, you be one of dem angel guys sent to help your people.

 
At 9/07/2005 09:04:00 PM, Blogger Papa Ray said...

Jeez, now his head will swell up so big, they will be able to pick him out of a crowd.

Thanks a bunch.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

 
At 9/07/2005 09:47:00 PM, Blogger cooper said...

way to go! I think that is so awesome! what a great day for egypt, even if the vote was rigged. way to stand for democracy.

 
At 9/07/2005 11:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted too, but guess which finger i got red ;)

 
At 9/08/2005 02:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to vote yesterday and even though we all know that Mubarak will win, I think the changes that are happening in Egypt now are a good thing. First, people are getting used to the idea of several candidates. The fact that they can choose gave so many people in the voting station a kcik and a feeling of empowerment that you can't ignore. People felt that they were doing something and that their opinion counts - even if the outcome this year is known. The fact that the press now can openl attack Mubarak is a great thing.

It's not this year's immediate result that counts, what counts is that the genie has gone out of the bottle - and there's no way it's going back in.

 
At 9/08/2005 04:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont see that what they did was any corrupt more than you decieving them. 2 wrongs cannot ever be right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home