.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Back in C-Town

So I am finally back in cairo, after spending a whole month in the USA meeting what could only be described as the best readers a guy could ask for. And then upon returning, I am greeted with the egyptian national team beating the Ivory coast's team into submission in what only can be described as an awesome game of Football (It's football, not soccer, America. Get used to it!). People's spirits were high, lots of egyptian cuties painting the flag on their cheecks,egyptian flags are everywhere, and the celebrations on the streets didn't stop yesterday for 3 houres after the game was over. You can sense we needed something to celebrate, you know? It ain't over though, and it won't be till the Africa cup is ours! capt.abc10901281944.egypt_soccer_african_cup_abc109 GO EGYPT!

7 Comments:

At 1/29/2006 02:21:00 AM, Blogger TB said...

nice to have you back SM..things have been slow around here...waiting for you to stir things up...
As for the match...WOW...it was exhilirating (damn spelling!) I was in the stadium, and I was blown away...the chants, the dancing...and everything..it was just awesome...(also, alot of chicks...never seen that in a stadium in Egypt before)...anyways, I was wondering about this fan thing, just a while ago here and it is funny you brought it up...in some way, they're giving me hope!
Also, you've been out of town, and probably didn't watch the opening, but I've got you covered...take a look, it was awesome!

 
At 1/29/2006 02:59:00 AM, Blogger egyptiansally said...

welcome back!
yeah, it was a great game. but i hate to burst your bubble, tunisia is probably gonna take home the cup :)

 
At 1/29/2006 04:07:00 AM, Blogger TB said...

well, I'll have to agree with you. Tunisia is a superb side...but thats not the way it works in such tournaments...i mean that it is very plausible that tunisia meets cameron at the semi-final and cameron wins...or something similar...the good teams should cancel each other out...but I agree with you tunisia is a very good team, I'd hate for us to play them...but anything can happen in Cairo Stadium...believe me...absolutely anything!!

 
At 1/29/2006 04:13:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Ok, first of all Toman, excellent coverage dude. I loved your posts.

But shame on both of you and Sally: root for Egypt people. I know we have the same chnace of winning this as the US of winning the world cup, but there is no need to rub it in, you know? And miracles can happen. You never know.

Thanks for the welcome back though ya sally. me mucho appreciates it!

 
At 1/29/2006 08:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, welcome back SAM.
The game was my first experience at an Egyptian stadium and it was awesome. (The game I mean, not the crazy fans or the teens screaming MIDO in my ears). I was however disappointed at how the fans treated the Cote D'Ivoire team. I don't care how patriotic they frikkin are or how much they love the game, national anthem remains national anthem worthy of respect. I couldn't believe so many people thought it was cool or funny to whistle and make such noise when the national anthem of Cote D'Ivoire was played. It's a disgrace to Egyptians who could've been classy at such a moment exhibiting the spirit associated with fair and decent sportsmanship.

 
At 1/29/2006 09:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a fan of football, but am happy you guys won. Congrats.


jonas

 
At 1/29/2006 10:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys, guys. You forget Ivory Coast had already guaranteed itself a place in the next round, so i would not start celebrating anything because past experiences taught me that that team is unpredictable & their lucky streaks end quickly. Patience & prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home