.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Monday, August 08, 2005

Adieu, Hellme!

Hellme , from the Dumb North African Blog has just quit. It sucks to see him go, because his blog was one of the first and the best Egyptian blogs around. I know it may seem like he doesn’t have a lot on his blog now, but that's because he got hacked a few months ago and had all of his previous posts deleted, which was a huge loss as anyone who regularly reads him would know. The only thing that worries me is the bleakness of his goodbye message: "a lot is at stake if I fail to end it permanently this time. In a couple of days, I’ll be deleting the blog and its posts". Maybe it's my inner paranoia talking, but I fear that "they" may have threatened him or something. And if "They" can get to him and he lives outside of Egypt, what chance do the rest of us home-bound Egyptians have? Doesn’t exactly give us a lot to look forward to, you know? But maybe he is right. He always was the smartest one of us and ahead of the curve, so maybe he is just pulling the plug at exactly the right time. Maybe if we are smart we should all do the same. Sigh Either way, I know I am going to miss him. He was one of the pioneers and one of the best, and the one we all respected. He is a voice that I am sad to see go, but in the end it is his decision and we can do nothing but respect it. So Hellme, Buddy, Take care and best of luck in all of your future endeavors. Make no mistake about it, You will be missed, man. And who knows, maybe one day the mindbleed will start again? I, for one, certainly hope it will. So long mate, The Sandmonkey

19 Comments:

At 8/08/2005 11:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Byebye Hellme. 7atow7ashnah!

 
At 8/09/2005 12:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Under no circumstance do I deserve a farewell like that.

I've sent you an email explaining in more detail some of the reasons surrounding my bleak message.

Rest assured, the bleeding might always start again. Maybe.

You guys - keep SM alive. It makes for endless hours of enjoyment and may one day cost me my job and relationship :)

 
At 8/09/2005 04:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt he was gonna leave this time. Hellme you did the wise thing my friend especially with all these new laws coming into effect you don't want to be misinterpreted.'ana fahmak mazbout...:( All the best man . I'm leaving this message on SM's blog instead of yours because you said you will erase your blog in a few days . Thanks for letting us know before pulling the plug.

 
At 8/09/2005 04:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Highlander -

Thanks for the well wishing. The new laws will not really have any bearing on me, but I presume you catch the gist of some of the issues I'm having. Some of them are also purely personal (like not feeling like blogging at all anymore).

 
At 8/09/2005 05:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hellme, you ever come to berlin you better email me. best wishes and good luck. don't forget that there's a lot of americans who love your arab ass. holly

 
At 8/09/2005 06:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, sorry I'm hijacking your blog like this mate :)

Holly - will do, and I presume there must something very wrong with you for loving my Arab ass ;)

 
At 8/09/2005 07:07:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

"Sam, sorry I'm hijacking your blog like this mate :)"

Hellme, are you kidding me? I am loving this. I am getting you not only to write again, but to do it on my blog as well. You can continue hijacking it all day if you want and I wouldn't mind one bit. :)

 
At 8/09/2005 09:07:00 AM, Blogger egyptiansally said...

Hellme,
Although you're closing your blog, I hope you continue to post on other people's blog. You've shown an incredible amount of insight (and sarcastic) in your comments.
good luck to you in any case:)

SM, thanks for letting your blog be a space for well-wishing and goodbye. hope all is well with you.

 
At 8/09/2005 09:24:00 AM, Blogger programmer craig said...

#Under no circumstance do I deserve
#a farewell like that.

Yes you do :)

Keep posting on blogs at least please, I always have enjoyed reading your opinions, even when I don't agree.

 
At 8/09/2005 09:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam - cheers.

Egyptiansally - I'm not going to shoot myself in the face (although that would be an option)...it's just mindbleed has to go...mindbleed...not me per say, and not the blogging 'phenomenon' as such. So yes, I'll be lurking about on other people's blogs, interjecting with random opined crap every now and then. I am, essentially, moving down the food chain. From host, to parasite. From donor to leech :)

Anyway, get back to reading Sam's posts! Sam, please close the comments on this post. I'm going to hate you if you don't :)

 
At 8/09/2005 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

DNA,

This is so sad...you know how much you will be missed by moi. I hope you remain in touch and we meet up as we agreed in London on my next visit.

snif snif hard to see one of the best egyptian blogs close down :(

I really hope the bleeding will resume sometime soon :(

 
At 8/09/2005 01:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twosret and SM ...where are you ?

 
At 8/09/2005 01:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're welcome Hellme, looking forward to your usual satire on our blogs

 
At 8/09/2005 04:02:00 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

Highlander,

Laptop got busted in the airport. I'm using the downstairs one. Will call you tonight.

 
At 8/09/2005 06:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twosret sorry about your laptop :( . Me staying at friend's place out of the usual location;left you offline messages ( but now i know about ur laptop problems ). So i only have the mobile with me , sorry if you called and found no answer s...

SM, I apologize for usurping your blog and comment section ;) I needed to get in touch with Twosret lol ( and you by the way !)

 
At 8/09/2005 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

Highlander,

Might fly again soon and won't be able to connect. No Yahoo messenger on this PC :( you know the powers to be won't allow chatting on this one for patient confidentiality......Get your work done woman no socialization :).

 
At 8/09/2005 11:23:00 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Highlander, are you one of the Libyans SM has been stalking?!

 
At 8/10/2005 12:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I'm not Craig...I have no idea which Libyan connection is SM stalking lol ....
SM what are you up to man ? ;)

 
At 8/10/2005 04:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twosret, have a nice trip...and good luck... I'm doing my best to work but summer is just tooooooo hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home