.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Friday, January 13, 2006

I am lovin it!

In the past 36 houres, the following happend: I had dinner with 3 very interesting and opinionated jewish bloggers in a Chinese kosher restaurant (I know!) in Brookline. It was lots of fun: Good food, great disscussion. And get this: They paid for my meal. This egyptian got 3 jews to pay for his dinner. There must be an award for that in Egypt or something. I think it even beats the time I got invited by my jewish ex-girlfriend to Passover dinner, you know? An egyptian at passover dinner. Imagine how that was like!


I got stopped at the airport for 15 minutes because apparently my name resembeld a name of someone else on the No-fly list. Yeah, did I mention how much I love Logan airport? It's always so good to me!
I convinced the hotel receptionist in DC to let me check in 3 houres early for no extra charge, just because she thought it was "oh so awesome" that I am from Egypt. Did I mention how much I love that I am from Egypt? I swear to god, You couldn't come from a cooler background if you are dealing with americans, in their eyes anyway.
Then the following happend really really fast: I had lunch with one of the smartest people at Cato institute, followed by one of the coolest dinners ever with a gorgeous yet unfortunately married Jordanian, and a very mysterious egyptian blogger, and a very low key lebanese cutie who deliverd to me the greetings of one of my favorite lebanese bloggers, and the evening concluded with me meeting a very infamous syrian heretic and his beautiful wife. The fastest day in my life and for good reason: DC has the coolest people in the arab blogsphere. I need to move there.
When you think about it, in the past 36 houres, I broke bread with 3 jews (one of which is russian), an american, a jordanian, an egyptian, a lebanese and a syrian. I felt like I was in a middle-east peace summit, except that it was one where all you did was eat and people paid for your meals. Did I mention how I love DC now? I need to go there again. And that is all folks, now on to the news!

4 Comments:

At 1/13/2006 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Abu Kais said...

Sorry I missed you, Sandmonkey. I agree that you should join the DC gang.

Yalla, good luck.

 
At 1/13/2006 07:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, are you gonna be in NYC? Let me know if you're gonna be in the city, get another free meal! (From a poor college student, so I can't promise a feast) "gagarrik at gmail dot com"

 
At 1/13/2006 09:41:00 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

So, you had dinner with 3 Jewish guys one night, and 3 Arab girls the next? Something seems... odd... to me about that, but I can't quite figure out what it is :)

Sounds like you are having a great time! Now quit messing around and get a job so you can stay!

 
At 1/16/2006 10:55:00 AM, Blogger KYP said...

Ah, so sorry I didn't get to meet you while you were in DC! [But as a poor grad student, I probably couldn't have afforded to take you out to dinner] I agree, we have a good number of fascinating bloggers...and good restaurants. Come back soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home