.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Monday, July 11, 2005

All Apologies

I found out about Al-Sharif’s murder on Saturday. He died on Thursday, after I posted this post and left for my vacation, and the whole world was talking about the London Bombings instead. I was watching Euronews where I was and somehow the story of his murder was never put on, instead it was all about the state of panic Europe was experiencing and the after-effects of the bombs. Nothing about the Ambassador. And then I get told about it on Saturday, in the passing, like it’s no big news. I turn on the Egyptian television and I see it there. I see the people condemning his murder yet blaming our government, and saying that we shouldn’t judge the Iraqi resistance because of it. And then I see his daughter in a TV Interview talking about how when her and her father lived in Israel for 4 years “amongst the Jews” nothing ever happened to them, yet when her father goes to an Arab Islamic country, he gets murdered. I saw the whole thing, and it depressed the shit out of me, especially after what I wrote. You know, deep inside of me, I was hoping that they wouldn’t kill him. Call it my inner pan-arabist, but I was hoping they would prove me and the rest of the world wrong. I was hoping that maybe those “Resistance” guys were really not very keen on being occupied, that maybe they are not as blood thirsty as they appear to be in the media, but rather just super-nationalistic or something and wouldn’t hurt a fellow Arab/muslim. But nope, no dice. Reality, once again, refused to be cheated. They killed the man, in cold blood, for no reason but for doing a job assigned to him by his government. But really, what did I expect? That the same people who have no problems slaughtering their own, would suddenly find it immoral to kill this man? That the Iraqi resistance was really noble at its core? God damn it, I know better. Everyone knows better. I guess for a few days I really wished that my outlook on the situation to be wrong and that people like Riverbend had it right , just so I can stop feeling so angry at what we have become. Childish hopes, and like any childish hope, they got destroyed when they landed on the hard rock of reality. Anyway… People are now running along blaming the government for his death: saying stuff like that they didn’t provide enough protection for him or something , or that we as Egyptian shouldn’t have sent an ambassador in the first place, since we as arabs should stand against the “occupation”. Islamist and Apologist MP Mohamed Abdel Qudos went and blamed the US adminstration alonsgide the Egyptian government for Al Sharief's murder, saying that what happend is a "reaction to their activities in Iraq", but naturally blamed the egyptian government for sending him as well. They forgot the most important reason why they should blame the government: The government would not pay Al Sharif’s ransom and they had one for him. My Father was talking to this higher-up guy in the Egyptian state department who told him that and when my dad asked him if the government will pay money to free A-Sharief , the guy told him that they won’t pay a single penny; Not because we refuse to negotiate with terrorists, but because our government doesn’t value the lives of its citizens at all, even those diplomatically representing it. Just not a priority to them. What? Pay them 100,000 dollars for one easily replaced egyptian, while the Secretary of State needs a newer Mercedes for his convoy? Get Real! And then you have the other reactions: Like the Mufti who said that murdering Al Sharif is a graver sin to god than destroying the Kaaba ( you know, that black building muslims do the Haj to?) as far as God was concerned. Hey, Mufti, I got a billion muslims who would probably disagree with you, but then again , ever since you came out with your Fatwa that “ political demonstration is a sin”I am not sure anyone really takes you seriously anymore. Or You have Dr. Zaghloul El Nagar, who is blaming the Mossad for Al Sharif’s murder and every other kidnapping and murder that happens in Iraq. His argument goes something like this : “It’s impossible for the Kidnappers and the Killers to be muslim, since kidnapping and killing is against Islamic principles. Therefore, It must the be the Jews!”. I wish I was kidding, or that I could really laugh at how stupid this guy is, but I can’t, because he is taken seriously by many people. It’s so simple: Just blame the Jews for it! The A.P.U. in action ladies and gentlemen. So I guess what depresses me more than his death, is that his death served no purpose. The Egyptian government will send a new envoy, the people in Egypt will continue seeing those people as “Heros”, because, after all, they are “beating the Americans”, and the thugs there will continue kidnapping people and killing them if their government won’t pay up (Kidnapping is the closest thing Iraq has to a growth industry these days). The song remains the same, nothing changes, this man got killed for no reason and almost nobody cares. I can only hope that the US and the Iraqi armies find and kill those bastards, because I no longer have any faith in our government or security apparatuses or intelligence agencies’ abilities to secure anyone, save their own people or do anything to bring their killers to Justice. Their death probably won’t bring him back, or make up for the loss his family now suffers, but it will be Justice. As morbid as it may sound, it would bring a smile to my face. I can also only hope that if any of his family or friends read those posts they would forgive me. It was wrong of me to wish it, even if it was to demonstrate a point or even if it would’ve woken our people up to the truth. We can not justify someone’s death with the political gain it would’ve created, as one person in my comments section said. That’s the terrorists way. That’s what the terrorists do. We shouldn’t stoop to their level. I shouldn’t have allowed myself to stoop to their level, even if it was done in Jest. So Al-Sharif Family: I am truly truly sorry and I hope you would forgive me. I am sorry for saying what I’ve said. I am sorry that he had to died on the hands of those murderers for no reason but for doing his job. I am sorry that the people who did it are arabs and muslims just like him and you and that they did it “in the name of Islam”. I am sorry that he was safer in Israel then he was in an Arab muslim country. I am sorry that our government didn’t do anything and forsake him the way it did. And I am sorry that the Egyptian people aren’t more enraged by this; I have no idea what happened to them to turn them this way, but I am sorry for it as well.

10 Comments:

At 7/11/2005 07:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks

 
At 7/11/2005 07:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandmonkey,
I have been a reader of ur great blog for quite some time now and I really like ur posts. I am Egyptian too and I felt so bad after what happened to our Ambassador, and angered at the unbelievably lame reactions and statements from the government and the ppl... I think that sending an ambassador was important but he should have been provided with more protection, i mean even workers totally unrelated to politics are kidnapped in Iraq so how could they not provide a high profile ambassador with more protection!! Actually it's the first time i hear the thing about the ransom, it really made me mad to c how important we r to our country... if it is true then i really think our country is sadly becoming really hopeless...

 
At 7/11/2005 08:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandmonkey,

I think you should put a big fat disclaimer at the top of that last post saying it was written before he was killed and anyone who's easily offended should stop now. I know where you were coming from, but under the circumstances...

- Adam

 
At 7/11/2005 09:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding the other post;
Don't be too hard on yourself. Looking back it is pretty bad, but I read it at the time and did not think of what could happen.

Now more, maybe just a few more, people know that the terrorists just kill anyone they can, even a helpless prisoner. They are weak and cowardly.

Regarding paying ransom;
Whatever the reason, ransom should not be paid. It only serves as fuel for more deaths. In this, the Egyptians did better than the Europeans. (Not saying much there, them being so European and all, but you know...)

Bobby - Virginia, USA

 
At 7/11/2005 10:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you pay a ransom you open yourself and your people to further danger. You make yourself an easy mark and they will continue to kidnap your people and will use your money to kill more innocents.

 
At 7/11/2005 02:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too think it is honorable that Egypt did not pay a ransom.

Reportedly, the "Arroyo government is claimed to be negotiating the release of hostaged Filipino accountant Roberto Tarongoy by his captors, with a counter offer of $6 million, or $4 million short of the earlier $10 million demanded by the Iraqi rebels."

The ransom paid by other nations finances criminal thugs and fanatics committing the atrocities against the Iraqi people, aid workers, UN employees, and now, your ambassador.

Your ambassador was a courageous man to have accepted a posting to Iraq. I have immense respect for him. My heart goes out to his family for the loss they have suffered.

 
At 7/11/2005 03:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This truly was a tragic event. I am torn about the ransom. If it really was as low as $100,000 a ransom should be paid. Sometimes this ideological hallucination of "fighting terrorism" needs to take a back door to pure human goodness and morality. Apparently many would disagree. However, there was no ransom offered, and if it was it certainly was not that low. People who can get millions off of an accountant will get much more off of an ambassador. Though Sandmonkey, I honestly don't think there was a ransom offered. The Egyptian gov't had previously paid ransoms and this would have been no different. No request of a ransom was made, in fact, less than a day after posting that they had captured al-Sharif, the perverts announced they would kill him no matter what. They didn't give a timeframe or make any demands, they simply derided Egypt as being allied with the Jews and Americans (not an insult but whatever) and said that they would kill him. I guess they're the type of people who follow through with their promises.

 
At 7/11/2005 10:04:00 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I understand. i've ranted off a couple of times and regretted it, but the reality is that it will take someone in Egypt catching 50 or so Islamists setting off bombs before they'd get a clue and even then they'd probably forgive them saying they were driven to it.

Let's face it, you're living in a bizarre world where up is down and down is up, right is wrong and anything goes as long as people get what they think they want.

The sad part is, I'm quite sure a number of Egyptians would be seriously disgruntled if they ever got the MB as their governing body and found out how their newly earned ability to speak out about politics and such was instantly squashed because everything is allowed as long as it doesn't harm Islam or the government and everything harms Islam and the government.

You've got two choices friend, fight like hell for a liberal movement or run as fast as you can.

 
At 7/11/2005 11:32:00 PM, Blogger Twosret said...

SM,

This is post is one of the reasons why we always agree despite of our disagreements. We are both humans and respect human life.

Thanks for a lovely post. I wish his family well and hope that the criminal terrorists will be punished. I wish Iraq and the Iraqi people peace and stability.

They deserve it!

 
At 7/13/2005 02:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sm - and yet you want these people to decide who runs their country, and yours? You want these idiots who can't see the hypocricy in a Muslim dieing at the hands of Muslims who claim to be upholding Islam, you want them to vote?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home