.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Friday, August 26, 2005

Happy bunny and Unhappy parents

This is another sign that the US is becoming a hyper-sensitive nation: Parents are concerned with the message Happy Bunny T shirts are giving. Back to school means new clothes for many students and this year Happy Bunny shirts are a hot item. The shirts show cartoon bunnies, but CBS 2’s Dana Kozlov reports some parents and teachers aren't keen on the shirts rude sayings.It may be cute, but don't let the bunny fool ya’. This furry friend is now gracing T-shirts with not-so-friendly messages on them. Oh no, the messages are not friendly? Nooooooooooooo. Ok, Happy Bunny, in case you are not familiar with it, is a brand designed by Jim Benton aimed mostly to young audiences, depiciting a cute Bunny that says funny ( ok, and slightly rude) things. Some of my favorites are : "Hi Loser", "You suck and that's sad", "cute but psycho" and my favorite- and AIM icon- "Hating you makes me feel all warm inside". It's "playful anti-social" so to speak and it's funny. The brand is on everything from T-shirts to shot-glasses, and they were big like a year ago. The fact that they are still a fad is a little surprising to me. Anyway, back to the report. So can you tell us what is so bad about those T-shirts? Teenagers tend to downplay the perceived mean side. But some parents, teachers and DePaul University psychologist Dr. Joseph Ferrari are not."It's pairing some insulting comment with something that's pleasant, warm and fuzzy, and that's a problem because it's desensitizing people, kids, to the aversiveness of what some of these shirts say," Ferrari said. Uh-huh. and? "There's a breakdown of perhaps responsibility that's occurring in our society. We are not respecting each other as individuals as much as we used to anymore," Ferrari said. Oh, you just noticed? Now, do we blame the parenting? Do we blame the schooling? Do we blame a society that makes a celebrity out of people like Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie? No. Blame the Bunny!

11 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 02:33:00 AM, Blogger ritzy said...

Eh... I don't know. Check this wet t-shirt out instead, makes more sense and it is ALL about women and religion.
http://missmabrouk.blogspot.com/2005/08/sign-me-up-for-buddhism.html

[ok, thought it was a good idea to come here to post a link again - but you'll like the picture, anyway!]

 
At 8/26/2005 03:09:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

See? You are my litmus test for parents Josie. If you are cool with it, then the rest should be goddamn it!

 
At 8/26/2005 05:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My 15 year old daughter wears a happy bunny t-shirt that says, "Not listening" and the bunny has his hands (paws) over his ears. I thought it was funny. I think people need to lighten up, toughen up and get a sense of humor.

 
At 8/26/2005 08:11:00 AM, Blogger Candace April said...

I want a "cute but psycho" one!

 
At 8/26/2005 08:17:00 AM, Blogger Candace April said...

I'd seen these before but never actually went looking for them...they have one that says "Cruel but cute so I'm worth it"

I think that one is even better.

Do you remember the "Boys are stupid...throw rocks at them" line? I suppose it is slightly different than the Happy Bunny line because of the violence but I still thought they were funny.

Parents were up in arms about that one, too. There is even a wikipedia entry on it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_are_stupid,_throw_rocks_at_them

 
At 8/26/2005 08:22:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

AAW: Cute but Psycho has always been my favorite as well.I have it on a shotglass.

The boys are stupid one is funny,and I think the outrage on it was stupid. Like girls would start throwing rocks at boys for that. I mean, I know a couple who really want to, but they won't do it regardless, let alone because it's on a shirt. u know?

 
At 8/26/2005 10:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should lighten up. My little brother has a Happy Turtle shirt that say "Girls are stupid..... Beat them into submission!" It's a riot! Cracks me up every time.

 
At 8/26/2005 11:09:00 AM, Blogger programmer craig said...

You never had girls throw rocks at you, SM?

 
At 8/26/2005 11:49:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

PC: Nope. that never happend to me. What can I say? All the ladies love the monkey!

 
At 8/26/2005 11:53:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Rosemary, what the hell? You mean those "Yankees suck, Jeter swallows" shirts are no longer allowed? God Now i am rooting for the Sox to get a beating by the yankees again to regain their senses. That world series win got them thinking all crazy!

 
At 8/27/2005 08:40:00 AM, Blogger Candace April said...

I was explaining this to my husband and went searching for images and found this:

Thought y'all might like to find out which happy bunny you are:

http://quizilla.com/users/yourgoodfriend/quizzes/which%20happy%20bunny%20are%20you%3F/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home