.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rantings of a Sandmonkey

Be forewarned: The writer of this blog is an extremely cynical, snarky, pro-US, secular, libertarian, disgruntled sandmonkey. If this is your cup of tea, please enjoy your stay here. If not, please sod off

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

How am I an extremist? Let me count the ways!

(Half of this post my response to Tomanbay’s criticisms, the other half is the answer to the above question. If you want the second part, just skip to bolded part that starts with “Which brings us to the part..”)

Time to give my 2 cents…

I had very conflicted feelings towards Tomanbay’s post about me to tell you the truth. One part of me (the reactionary part) immediately saw it as an unprovoked and largely unexpected attack on me and wanted to respond in kind, one part was immediately flattered by the time and effort he took to convey a point he wanted me to realize, and another part was kind of mad because with his post he ruined what I hoped to achieve by writing my post on Paradise Now, or at least shifted the debate to a direction I didn’t want it to take, as I will explain. But I would like to thank him for writing it anyway because it also brought my attention to something I wasn’t aware of: a lot of people who read me don’t really get or understand what I stand for and hope to achieve by writing this blog, so I am going to address his points and my critics in a way that hopefully will help shed more light on my reasoning and motivations- since a lot of people seem to be confused about that. If there is one thing that I agreed with Tomanbay on though, it’s that I am an extremist myself, and as extreme as some of the Wahabbi extremists, and you will see why I am this way, and why you should thank me for it, by the end of this post.

Ok?

All right, but first things first, and my post on that movie will come first, or actually what I hoped to achieve with it, will come first. Here we go:

Ok Tomanbay, here is a question I wanted to ask you: How stupid do you think I am? Really? Have you not seen me present arguments before? Don’t you think that I am smart enough to present such an argument as the one I presented here with such a huge chink on my argument armor, as repeating twice that I didn’t see that movie, but will criticize it anyway? Didn’t that strike you as weird at all? Just a little strange? Didn’t you think for a second that it was presented that way, because it was supposed to push people’s buttons?

Man, I wrote this post with 2 goals in mind: 1) To mock all the people in our media who keep praising the movie and talking about “how the Jews are fighting it because it shows who they really are” without actually seeing the damn movie. I mean, you would think from the amount of support this movie was getting from all of those people who didn’t see it but were excited about it anyway that it would just make the rest of the world suddenly be ok with palestinains blowing themselves up, or understand how evil the Joooz really are. They were defending and praising a movie they didn’t see, just on the principle of “if the Jews are opposing it it must be good” mind you, and nobody had a problem with that at all. That, my friend, pissed the shit out of me and I was just trying to give people a taste of what that’s like when it’s reversed. Just being an asshole as usual. But that’s not the main reason why I wrote it.

The second reason- or goal- was to provoke a reaction out of my readers, especially the Palestinians amongst them. I fully expected the Palestinians who read this blog to take an issue with me on this post, since- as we all know- the movie doesn’t really support suicide-bombing. You see, part of the sandmonkey experiences is provoking people; to put them on the defensive and to get them to explain themselves and what they stand for. Writing this post in such a way will force every Palestinian out there that reads it to mention the positive message of the movie, decry suicide-bombing and the stereotyping of arabs. I did it fully realizing that not everyone will think this way, and some might even cuss me for it, but that’s ok, because it wasn’t really about me this time. Not really. Think about it Tomanbay, who reads my comments section? Don’t people always call my commenters “right-wing nutjobs”? Well, what will those “right-wing nutjobs” read in such a comments section then, other than Palestinians decrying suicide-bombing and violence, and criticizing stereotyping and ignorance? Can you imagine the effect of that? Do you think that’s the view they usually get of palestinains, thanks to the asshole elements of the likes of Hamas? Of Course not. And it was working too. It was starting a dialogue until you wrote your piece and changed the debate from the movie and the image of palestinains to the "Sandmonkey is a bad extremist” love-fest you had on there, which of course ruined the whole thing. Oh well. Such is life.

But besides what I intended to do, let me make something clear: I do have an issue with that movie, especially after what I heard of it, for the reason everyone states in its defense: It doesn’t condemn or condone suicide-bombing and that it leaves the viewer free to make their own conclusions. For me, in the times we are living in, and with the debates being the way they are, and with the deadly trifecta elements of ignorance, poverty and oppression feeding the fire of extremism in Islamic youth, I am not sure leaving them to make their own conclusion, after what I am assuming to be an emotionally charged movie, to be a very wise thing. I mean, doesn’t it disturb you that every movie we have on the topic glorifies the act of suicide bombing as a heroic form of self sacrifice and never the opposite? I mean, most of our people will go to such a movie with their schooling and their films telling them that blowing themselves up in order to kill your enemy is ok, so, like, what kind of a conclusion do you think they will come out with? I mean, would it be bad for once to show a movie that says, that maybe, just maybe, that suicide-bombing is wrong and that it kills innocent people? Would it have killed the director to make that the message of the movie instead of being neutral on the subject? Is that really too much to ask?

I mean, I get it that it shows that innocent people will die (the scene with the little girl on the bus in the end and all) and therefore the suicide-bombing is bad, but that’s for people who will think about the movie and its message later on, and I don’t know if a lot of people-from our side of the fence at least- will do that. I mean, after all that’s been happening lately, I am starting to doubt that our people think at all with their brains, and instead just follow their emotions. I don’t think I need to explain to you how dangerous that is; I mean, anyone who has been watching the news lately can see that for themselves.

And then you have the idiots, like this lady that left this comment on your blog:

Thank you for this post. It was right on! I can't believe SM had the audacity to attack Pradise Now without watching it and REFUSING the simple idea of humanizing the suicide bomber. Suicide bombers are not animals they are, surprise, surprise, humans! Yes! You have no idea what it takes to be willing to end your life like that.

Ok, I will say it slowly and hopefully you will get it: I don’t think suicde-bombers are animals Sonia, because I respect animals. I think suicde-bombers are monsters. I think they are mass-murdering idiots and don’t deserve an ounce of sympathy from me. I don’t know why that is: Maybe it’s because I was at the Hotel in Ras Shaitan in october of 2004 when one of them blew himself up not 400 meters away from where I was, and I saw the dead bodies, blood and carnage he committed in his efforts to kill - get this-tourists. Not Israeli army officers, not the evil American occupiers of Iraq, but rather your simple innocent by-standing tourists, who I am sure had it coming because, ehh, why is that again? Can you tell me? I would like to know.

You see my friend, that’s why I think they are monsters. It’s because I know they don't give a damn or care or differentiate between their victims. Those are the kinds of people who blow up school children buses, slaughtering 32 children, to kill one US soldier in Iraq. They are murderous nutbags, plain and simple, and even if they would like to differentiate between their victims, their bombs wouldn't, and that's the sad truth. So here I am, an arab muslim egyptian male, and I am well aware of all the history and the injustices and all the other excuses we all know and are ready to spout on a second's notice, and yet I can't seem to care about those people anymore. For me, as far as I am concerned, they want me dead. Not me personally, but if I die for being in the wrong place on the wrong time, they wouldn't really care. And you know something? I am not really ready to die. I don't wanna die. I want to live. I have places to see, parties to go to, girls to sleep with and children to screw up raising. And if it's between me- or you for that matter- and 100 of those Koran thumbing allahu akbar shouting misogynistic racist jihadist assholes, it is no contest: I choose us. They've got to go. It really is that simple.

Hope I made myself clear on that front, and now back to you Tomanbay, and your criticisms of me. The first one, the port deals one, is stupid, because if you read the IMAO parody, you would understand that it was making fun of the people who were against the deal. It was logically refuting every argument people were raising against the UAE taking over the ports, while making fun of the critics misconceptions of arabs as being “all terrorists who want to kill them all”. In my opinion it did it brilliantly, which is why I was surpised to know that this is when you started “questioning my motives”. I was like, come on Tomanbay, you are smarter than that. You are the guy who would get this.

And then the second point you raise is about my praising of Deeyah and my ridicule of Samy Yusef. First of all, I don’t think the comparison is valid, mainly because I don’t think Deeyah is exploiting Islam as some people claimed she was to gain fame and success. That argument is so stupid that I can't believe some of the people who I know to be smart spouted it. Yes, I am sure she did that, because the teen pop-music listening anti-islamic crowd is so huge and her albums would reach platinum easy, right? Not to mention, she would have the most sold-out concerts, cause I am sure her fans wouldn’t be afraid of some nutbag trying to blow himself up and kill her. And I am sure she just doesn’t care about the death threats she gets, or the fact that she has to surround herself with bodyguards all the time, because she must be making a ton of money from the anti-Islamic feminist pop-music crowd. Yeah. Sure. Are you kidding me? No one, unless a true believer in the cause she is championing, would do what she is doing, because, let’s face it, they don’t want to die, not even for the supposed money she would get out of this (How will she get this money again? Can you tell me?). Exploiting Islam to sell pop-music albums. Yeah, that’s the ticket. That's the untaped market. The Islamic Defamation Foundation (IDF, hehe) must be supporting her as well, and it’s all bankrolled by the Jews who want to destroy Islam. And women in muslim countries aren’t oppressed at all. Yeah, ok!

As for Samy Yusef, hey, I reserve the right to make fun of whomever I want, and let’s face it, anything Islamic these days in our countries is commercially successful and people are noticing it (Check the new Islamic songs of WAMA and Mostafa Kamar if you want an example). So am I saying he is doing it for the money? Who knows? Maybe. I am sure the money doesn’t hurt. And good for him for finding his niche. I ain’t hating on him for that. I just didn’t like that song he made, especially with its hidden messages, and I chose to make fun of that one. I mean, come on, him singing a song for veiled girls explaining to them what they should say about how the veil most of them are pressured and forced to wear makes them feel like? How can I not make fun of that?

And let me be honest with you, I might respect him the day he starts singing against Islamic terrorism or even the subjugation of women, or any of the other real issues and problems we have in our culture. He isn’t. He doesn’t even talk about it and brushes them off, like all of them do, and pretends that the real problem lies in the west not understanding Islamic culture. No man, they do understand it, and they are starting to see the festering problems that we are ignoring. The cracks in our wall. That’s our real problem. Deeyah is addressing that problem, and therefore is not commercially successful and has death threats up the ass, while Samy isn’t at all, and that’s why he is making money. To me the dude is like the singer version of Amr Khaled : He talks about the positives and ignores the problems that need addressing. Fine, it’s his right to do that. It’s my right not to like it.

This brings us to the part where we talk about my extremism. And if you are still reading then you are a champ, so I am not going to disappoint you. I will admit it. I am as extremist in my beliefs as “the radical, extremist, fanatical jihadiys”. In that you are right, but you also got to understand, it’s not by my choice, I am forced to be this way, and I am doing it for YOUR own good. Let me elaborate.

There is an ideological war going on in regards to Islam and in our societies I believe, and the Jihadis are winning. There are 3 reasons why they are winning: 1) The reluctance of the moderates amongst us to admit there are problems that need addressing, thanks to our stupid belief that “we shouldn’t air our dirty laundry”; 2) Because in any debate between the moderates and the extremists, if there is to be a compromise, it will always be in the extremists favor; and 3) Because the extremists, if they face defeat, they will just threaten their ideological enemies, if not issue a takfir Fatwa on them, which will lead to a moron attempting to- if not succeeding in- killing them. And because of those 3 reasons I am the extremist that I am today.

You see, we can’t fix our problems without addressing them, so I therefore make sure to point out the negatives all the time, because I believe that it is our duty to fix them, and that if we do fix them, then no one will be able to criticize or attack us. And that, in the eyes of many, makes me an extremist and a self-hater. Fine, whatever. But someone has to do it, and since very few are stepping up to the plate, I guess it has to be me. And that’s the first reason why I am an extremist.

The second reason I am an extremist is the reaction to reason 2 of why they are winning: The scales aren’t balanced. You see, any consensus achieved between the moderates and the extremists will only mean one thing: they reached a compromise. This would naturally mean that the extremists agreed to move closer to the moderates, but it also means that the moderates have to also move closer to the side of the extremists, and that’s what’s happening now in our societies. And this is not what we want, or what we should strive for. We want the society to remain moderate, but without extremists on the other side to balance the Islamic extremists, the society will always tilt in their favor. What we need are secular extremists who will not give an inch to counter the Islamic extremists in order to balance the society and move everyone more towards the middle. To make it a place where we all can live and co-exist. But we don’t have any Tomanbay, and that’s why the moderates are losing ground. Knowing the stakes, I stepped up, because as always, no one else is willing to do it. I am not enough by a long shot, but I am a start, and hopefully more will join me and will help balancing the scales of our society. That’s why I am an extremist, and why I will not budge on certain issues.

The third and final reason lies in the nature of this ideological war, and how it unfairly favors the islamists, simply because they will not allow themselves to be defeated. You see, they view themselves to be absolutely in the right; the agents of God on earth so to speak. So any dialogue with them will not be fair, because in their minds they are the right muslims and their oppositions are the ones who are misguided and who have to prove themselves. Not to mention, if you manage to beat them in a debate- which is easy- they will not just concede defeat and accept your points. They will view you as a threat to “God’s will” and subsequently they will view it as their duty to get rid of your infidel Kafir Islam-hating ass. This is why people are afraid of debating them or attacking them; they fear for their lives and they don’t want to get killed. I say screw that. I say fuck them. I say if they have no problems killing those who oppose them or their ideology (i.e. Us), then we have every right in the world to kill them back. Hell, it would be self-defense. And that’s why I am an extremist; because I would rather kill those who have no problem killing or threatening people (i.e. YOU) who don’t conform to their views. I value my and your life over those who preach death, and since I want to live and want you to live, I have no problem with the death preachers dying. I say let’s see how this debate will go when their Death Fatwa heads start getting killed back. I say until they stop and abandon the method of killing those who oppose them, we shouldn’t have any moral qualms at all about killing them as well. It’s self-evident, yet hard to swallow, and probably too Manichean to the average person, but someone has to do it for all of our sake. I get that, and that’s why I am an extremist.

Now, do you think I like it? Do you think I like being this extremist? Do you think any of the people, who suddenly found themselves part of this war and reacted the same way I did, like this stupid "Clash of Civilizations" either? Man, I am 25. I come from a well-off family, I have a sweet job with a big pay and lots of friends. I could be enjoying life like the rest of the useless idiots in my social class, talking about who got engaged to who, whose driving what car and who got photographed in what socialite magazine. But the world is going to shit Tomanbay, and very few people are doing something about it, and I can’t just stand still and watch it slide to oblivion. I can’t do that. I do what I do because it needs to be done. I am what I am because someone has to be. This is not fun, man. But I can’t just not do something. I have to do what I do, because I am compelled to do it, and no one else will take the job.

This is why I will talk about the rights of Christians in Egypt when no one talked about it. This is why I called the boycott thing retarded and started to remedy the situation even before anyone else said it. This is why I was one of the people who tried to start anti-terrorism protest in Egypt after the Sharm-bombing, while the rest of the country debated how much of a discount they can probably get if they went to Sharm now. I am waging an almost solitary battle to make the world understand that we are not all the crazy extremists violent assholes the extremists make us to be. And I always have to be in the forefront of it all, because none of you so-called moderates will ever take the first step. I always have to take it for you. Do you understand how much that sucks? And do I even get a thank you from you guys? No. I get criticized and attacked, and called an extremist. Fine. Thanks a lot. Whatever.

I am not going to be bitter about it Tomanbay, or even get angry over it, because, honestly, I am so used to this reaction that I have come to expect it by now. Not to mention, I made that choice to fight this battle, and as weary as I am, I won’t quit before I am 100% sure that it’s a lost battle, regardless of criticisms and attacks. For the simple reason that someone has to do it, and nobody else will. Because I value my life and yours, and the freedoms that we are all entitled to. That’s why I am called an extremist. And if that’s what an extremist is, then I am proud to be one.

Sandmonkey out! PS: If you managed to read the whole thing, then you rock, and you should leave a comment so I can know who you are!

89 Comments:

At 3/08/2006 06:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrr. Why isn't anyone talking like this out in the open here???? Why does everyone have to hide behind their blogger masks!?!?!?! Grrrr. (Yes, I am aware of all the potential risks of that.....but I still felt like growling). Thanks for the rant! 20 minutes later, and now the workday is finished! Yay!

 
At 3/08/2006 06:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sandmonkey, If that makes you an extremist, then I am an extremist too.

A liberal democrat who voted for Kerry!

 
At 3/08/2006 06:49:00 AM, Blogger finished2912 said...

Wow! I just started reading your blog and this was an eloquent, passionate and logical argument that will keep me reading. Thanks

 
At 3/08/2006 06:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand your point and am grateful to know that there are still people with guts to defend their own ideas. Keep up the good job!

 
At 3/08/2006 07:14:00 AM, Blogger yochanan said...

Amen!!!!!!!

 
At 3/08/2006 07:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Passionate and well reasoned Sandmonkey. I'd vote for you!

I see the extremists making more noise and value your voice.

Shawn
Conservative in Calgary

 
At 3/08/2006 07:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire your passion. Keep it up. I love your blog.

 
At 3/08/2006 07:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do another fine job, you make people like me who believe that Islam is the problem, keep to the view that not all Muslims have lost their reasoning and humanity to this cult. Recently I have seen more of it.

This is so important, the West will come to the point where it realizes that it is in a fight for survival, in a war situation the gloves come off, making sure that their are limits to the force and aggression due to our shared humanity is so important, people like you are doing a great service for you people, you have my total respect and admiration, you are a fellow world citizen unlike a heck of a lot of Muslims.

 
At 3/08/2006 07:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd vote for you too Sandmonkey :)
You are brilliant

Dalia from Poland

 
At 3/08/2006 07:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need more extremists like you, SM.

I would also like to add: palestinians are NOT a monolithic bloc. I take notice there are Christian palestinians, and they, for some odd reason, do NOT blow people up... so I have no wonder that at least some fair % of palestinians would be in favor of this movie humanizing them.

And I am SO glad kerry didn't win, otherwise a true discussion about what the jihadists are doing to everyone would not be happening today- it would have been silenced by 'hate' legislation.

Keep on Talking! Sensible people are listening.

~Gary

 
At 3/08/2006 07:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post by both SM and Tom. Too bad it is all moot because we are all too stupid to have such thoughts that mankind can rule himself.

http://www.iranpressnews.com/source/011195.htm

 
At 3/08/2006 07:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it is almost a futile effort, but if reasonable people can get to the so-called moderate muslims before the extremists get to them, then it will help us all in our struggle for sanity in this world. Thanks for doing your part, Sam. This post of yours remind me of US military men and women who have good paying jobs, a nice family with young children, and who have to sacrifice it all to be out in the front line. Yes, this is more of a war of ideology than a war of tanks and guns, but if the sane people don't win, we will all lose to the genocide of both sides that will commence.

jonas

 
At 3/08/2006 08:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine rant, SM. Of course it's all right to fight for freedom, and also to do it in a passionate way. Dark, medieval and repressive elements that obstruct freedom have to be fought, wherever they are.

More freedom and democracy would probably be beneficial for economic development in Egypt. But it should not be imposed from the outside. It is not the Americans and Danes who should decide what kind of democracy the Egyptians should have.

Perhaps, what is wrong or objectionable in your way of fighting for freedom is the way you sometimes divide the world up in a manichean way. Perhaps you also have too fixed a view on islamists. I think islamism is capable of development. Look at the MB. They seem to be opening up to democracy. This is probably the way an Egyptian democracy should evolve, from popular (and religious) forces in Egyptian society. When people are stuck with dictatorship it may be due to poverty and ignorance. To do away with that you must have some economic development. The economic development will create opportunities for people, included women.

 
At 3/08/2006 08:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for......wait, what are my choices again???

 
At 3/08/2006 08:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sandmonkey,
Even though your swearing is terrible (!), I was touched. Don't lose heart. I think you are needed very much.

 
At 3/08/2006 08:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

where can i see a brief summary of this post instead of reading the actual 24 page diatribe?

 
At 3/08/2006 08:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What drivel! Too long. Hell no I didn't bother reading it. Soundbites! Sound BITES, Sandman.

 
At 3/08/2006 08:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM, you are not alone.

I’m an extremist too.

I think many of us are.

We are a bunch of freedom extremists.

So SM, you are not alone.

Kiki

 
At 3/08/2006 08:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM, while I truly repsect everything you do, I think your opinions lack compassion for those who most need your help- the jihadists. Your blog educates everyday people, and jihadists probably dont read blogs, but I dont beleive it writing anyone off.. even if they are monsters. Too idealistic?

 
At 3/08/2006 08:41:00 AM, Blogger Assem said...

well another Egyptian extremist here!

Apathy in egyptian youth really sucks. So many egyptians i have seen that dont care about whats happening around them. There is a major lack of awarmess or interest in issues that affects our future.

it is great to see egyptians like SM and BP and oter stepping to the plate. Wheter yo agree or not with them one must respect their efforts.

SM, your arguments are solid and they dont make you an extremist. They make a master in Game Theory :)

 
At 3/08/2006 08:49:00 AM, Blogger gatorbait said...

Sam, I am in your corner and out front if you need me to be.

Suicide attacks are a sure sign of a dead ideology, devoid of purpose except to kill. Nihilism plus ultra.

Try a little history lesson, look at Imperial Japan and its primary weapon against inevitable defeat. Now, look at the nihilist Jacobin murderers glorified in the Leftist press and entertainment media. See anything ?

 
At 3/08/2006 09:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandmonkey
that was a gr8 post!

Another extremist

 
At 3/08/2006 09:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the whole thing. Wow! Now I need a cigarette.

 
At 3/08/2006 10:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got my respect.

Seeing you wash the "dirty laundry" would be a lot easier to understand and respect, than the negligence to it.

Scandinavian

 
At 3/08/2006 10:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What country is Sonia in? I can't believe people REFUSE to humanize the suicide bomber. WTF?!?

What the hell is wrong with these people? Why would anyone need to be convinced that blowing themself up might not be a good idea?

 
At 3/08/2006 10:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I read it all, I always do and I always enjoy doing it.

I don't believe you're being perfectly honest about this though:

Now, do you think I like it? Do you think I like being this extremist?

Yes I do, you are implying that you don't, and I am sure the lack off progress gets you down at times, but all in all I think you enjoy your blog almost as much as your readers. I'm not buying the "reluctant cultural warrior" bit, I think you are an enthusiastic ideologue just like every other political blogger out there, and no change in political realities can remedy that condition.

 
At 3/08/2006 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.slate.com/id/2127343/
http://www.slate.com/?id=2074129

You're not crazy, you're not alone.

 
At 3/08/2006 10:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a very, very good text you wrote there! I just wish there would be more people thinking like you do in the Arab world. I truly hope that people like you are the future of Egypt and other Arab countries, and not the Muslim Brotherhood nutters.

 
At 3/08/2006 10:58:00 AM, Blogger wayne&wax said...

i appreciate the explication, SM. gives me a better sense of how to read your provocative prose. keep it up. yours is an interesting and important perspective, and i'm glad it's accessible.

 
At 3/08/2006 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on! You done good! The only question mark is that maybe you put too much blame on the retarded rioting muslims and not enough blame on the even more retarded imams, mullahs, teachers, and so-called "Islamic scholars" who are the real cause of the problems you're fighting. How many of those rioting retards would be making such a stink if the clerics, who define what modern Islam is, ALL issued fatwas denouncing violence and threats? Suppose they ALL told the bombers that they were going to hell instead of heaven? That the terrorists would spend eternity in hell counting red-hot pennies instead of in heaven raping virgins? You won't get anywhere until the current crop of clerics is replaced by some with their heads screwed on straight.

 
At 3/08/2006 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it, and as usual I don't agree with your methods. But as usual, I support the underlining message to open our society and encourage debate.

You're concluding that Egyptian society needs "extremists" like yourself to invoke changes on behalf of moderates (as you suggest), because otherwise they won't move themselves.

But at the same time what will happen is that you will provoke moderates to act/speak against you. So instead of concentrating on social change and on the real extremists, they will be opposing you, which will only be further exploited by extremists (i.e. see, even so-and-so organization opposes him, he IS the devil!).

In other words, you're creating a rift among your peers at a time when we all need to be united against the real extremism in society (religious, social or political).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there are other ways to encourage debate. But to each his own.

 
At 3/08/2006 11:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. After reading this http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=21502 I really needed that.

To summarise a really long and far-too-academic article, there is a problem in Europe because roving gangs of young muslim men corner young women and rape them. We aren't talking about possible miscommunication, he-said-she-said stuff, but hours long, lots of guys, trip-to-the-hospital stuff.

About half-way through the article one of the participants explains that this has been going on for years, and when the police arrest the boys, the families do not understand. The girls weren't muslim, so as far as they were concerned, it was ok.

WTF!?

So, today's rant from you was very welcome, and very much on point, for me.

 
At 3/08/2006 11:48:00 AM, Blogger The Sandmonkey said...

Alb,

Youa re right. The moderates are more likely to speak against me, because, let's face it, It's a whole lot less dangerous than to speak against the islamic extremists, and they know I will never support any harm to come to them, unlike , well, you know who.

But sure, let them be ungrateful idiots. I will try to save them anyway, cause , yet again, no one else will!

 
At 3/08/2006 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Lina said...

Wow.. I didn't actually think I'd read all the way through either, but what can I say, you're good!

I've been lurking around your blog for quite a while, but I think this is the first time I leave a comment.

While I disagree with one or two points, and I'd like to share and discuss some more... but you raised too many issues to be covered in one comment, so I guess I'll save it for later.

I totally salute your passion and energy in writing this though.. cheers!

 
At 3/08/2006 11:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM,

Mad props from a libertarian in D.C. Keep up the awesomeness.

-DP

 
At 3/08/2006 12:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Rock! give'em Hell
Bridgette
Goshen, Ky

 
At 3/08/2006 12:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing a good job. For me, your blog is addictive and fantastic because it is written by you, an Egyptian. You are an Arab citizen and you dont want to kill me, and that Sandmonkey, is priceless. Thank goodness for the few of you that speak up.

 
At 3/08/2006 12:15:00 PM, Blogger The Egyptian Observer said...

Visit my blog!
The Egyptian Obsever

 
At 3/08/2006 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Baltic Waves said...

SM- All I can say is ..WOW!... It gives myself hope, and at times that is very dificult... Hang in there!

 
At 3/08/2006 12:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You killed a good chunk of my afternoon! But, you clearly establish yourself as a great blogger, if not a great writer. Whether or not I agree with you (which, for the most part, I do) is immaterial.

 
At 3/08/2006 12:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only are you extremely intelligent sandmonkey, but you got balls the size of watermelons. You have 100 times the courage than any jihadi. Stick with your integrity and keep up the fight. You are a real revolutionary, not those cowards who strap bombs to themselves.

 
At 3/08/2006 01:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am not really ready to die. I don't wanna die. I want to live. I have places to see, parties to go to, girls to sleep with and children to screw up raising."

...and many more blogs to write, G-d willing.

You are one of the bravest people on this stupid planet. Even though I did not even agree with every one of your statements, your noble courageous blog brought tears to my eyes.

Arnie from NY

 
At 3/08/2006 01:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say Sam is that when i read this I pictured you sitting in your chair (that is now over kevin's place) spitting all that out in one breath. Good read I must say, I am really looking forward to your book. Don't forget to send me a proof so I can give you the white boy seal of approval :)

 
At 3/08/2006 02:00:00 PM, Blogger pamela said...

SM: I have to admit that I have a ridiculously short attention span. Once I started reading this post, I could not stop. It was incredibly well-written and, more importantly, incredibly powerful.

 
At 3/08/2006 02:44:00 PM, Blogger chooseDoubt said...

Sandmonkey, with posts like this more will step up to the plate. I plan to be amongst them. I thought what you wrote was excellent, although you didn't convince me that you are an extremist. I believe it is simply that it is possible for some opinions to be wrong. Those with a grip on reality always seem extreme to the average, socially educated, brain dead human being. That's why people resist so hard when it's time to wake up. It's time now. The sane have the duty of making others hear the alarm. Peace & keep it up =)

 
At 3/08/2006 02:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant post.
I´m addicted to your blog; can´t help it..
Isabel
Germany

 
At 3/08/2006 02:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM,

I've been reading your awesome blog for months. You make a lot of
good points. Thanks for being a voice of reason.

 
At 3/08/2006 03:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Rescuing Reason, I linked to your post, and I read the whole thing.

:)

 
At 3/08/2006 03:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victor Frankel said, "Evil happens when good people do nothing." Well you have proven that evil will not be overlooked on your watch. It is good people like you, who have the guts to stand up and speak their mind, who will stop this evil.

One of your best posts ever. The more I read the more I was drawn in. Please keep up your fundamentalist cause for the benefit of all of us. Hopefully more will come to understand that yourself and others (e.g. BigPharoah) are the hope for a better Middle East and a better world.

 
At 3/08/2006 04:14:00 PM, Blogger Leilouta said...

You should get paid for this blog :-P

 
At 3/08/2006 04:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Sandy. The only problem that I can see is that there are way to many apathetic, self satisfied lemmings in the West. Add to these the PC lefty appeasers who seem to have way too much authority without having earned it and I fear that you are preaching to the already converted.Your cause is just (or is that justice)and your ideals have morality, now if only we can tell the majority of the 500 million people who need to know this that they are missing the start of the most dangerous war since WW2 - perverted religious idealogy Vs reason and enlightenment, slaughter Vs compassion, hatred Vs acceptance of others. Guess not. BW48.

 
At 3/08/2006 04:59:00 PM, Blogger Beth said...

God, Sandmonkey, you just don't know how much your blog matters to people like me. Reading things like this gives me and others who find so little to hope for in the Islamic world something to CHEER about. You give us hope for peace.

I would love for you to come be an American, but honestly? You need to stay in Egypt. Egypt--and the whole Islamic world--NEEDS YOU, so the world today needs you doing exactly what you do.

Sandmonkey for President of Egypt! (Someday, I hope!)

 
At 3/08/2006 05:01:00 PM, Blogger Christine said...

OMG! SM, this is the most unbelievable post I have ever read anywhere. Keep on keeping on baby. You are on the right side of this fight and I hope like hell many, many others join you. Damn!

 
At 3/08/2006 05:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved it, SM! You give me hope that reason just might prevail someday.:)

 
At 3/08/2006 05:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ready every word of this. Me too sleepy to comment or read every comment but your right with what you do and say.

I'm a numbers girl I could never write the way you do but I share in your thoughts and Ideas.. You rock..Keep it up and dont let people wear you down its hard but you can do it.

 
At 3/08/2006 06:10:00 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Sandmonkey rules!!!! I read the whole blistering, sizzling thing. Right on!! Don't stop, Sandmonkey. You're going to do great things, not just for Egypt, but for the world.

 
At 3/08/2006 06:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your blog, It shows a dumb redneck like me there are resonable Arabs in the world, I would like to hear more from reasonable Arabs and a lot less from the jihadis and their many friends in the western media. a big "atta boy" to you and big pharoh.

 
At 3/08/2006 07:03:00 PM, Blogger Nikki57 said...

phew .... I'm thanking my lucky stars I already know what u stand for and I understand ur zany little brain cause that post is too long for me ehh i'm sleepy i might read it tomorrow when I'm bored at work. I just wanted to let you know that the length of this post is a clear sign u have no life in egypt and need to come home to me ... oh and on that note u had a long group email due a couple days ago if I recall correctly (and i know i do). I'm sooooo happy u have time to write mile long posts for people on the interweb, but cant get out ur email to all ur friends :)

 
At 3/08/2006 07:18:00 PM, Blogger Gluon said...

Great post, Sandmonkey. One of your best ever.
Bravo!

 
At 3/08/2006 07:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great post! Thanks for all your efforts!

lincoln in Spain

 
At 3/08/2006 07:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice response SandMonkey! I was feeling ill from your original acquiescence to Tomanbay yesterday. I feel better now. But we really need to figure out how to wake these bleeding-hearts up. Hollywood's strategy, to change the terrorism equation by saying "we understand", just doesn't cut it folks!

 
At 3/08/2006 07:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First and foremost, the core sentiments of this post, (the paragraph starting out "So here I am,..." and the conclusions describing secular extremism) are just about mine exactly, and I wish to believe fairly universal.

I can understand and support Tomanbay calling SaM out when included within the body of a post is a criticism of a movie unseen (or a book unread, but that's Another Subject from years ago that unfortunately keeps resurfacing). I can just as easily understand and support the furor illustrated within this well-constructed response that led to the antipathy toward the coloration of the REVIEWS of the movie. Good serve. Excellent return.

Hey, we love both you guys. Seriously. I just don't want to see more bandwidth given over to The Spite Factory if it's just a personality conflict without the opportunity for advancement toward governmental (or proposals for social) policy change.

I keep saying this like a skipping CD, but whaddya say we all head over to http://www.cuteoverload.com and click the link on the Coveted Cuteness Trifecta to behold the wonder of the Peace-Inducing Akagami Hamster. Then we all can post again after we go awwwwww and are in a better mood.

Goddammit, Akagami Hamster WORKS!! I KNOW it does!!!

-Troy Z

 
At 3/08/2006 08:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Veni, vidi, petri?

I'm very sorry to hear you were at Ras Shaitan SM - I first discovered this blog after the Sharm attacks last July - I learnt to dive at Naama Bay, and this was the only place I actually found someone looking to raise money for the families affected. Got addicted since. Liz

 
At 3/08/2006 08:24:00 PM, Blogger Candace April said...

I have two things to say. The first, Barry Goldwater said more eloquently than I can:

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Relativism is all well and good in ideals of beauty--but there is a right and a wrong...no matter how much we try to fool ourselves otherwise.

The second:

Sandmonkey, when you chose to use sarcasm, irony, and other subtle devices in your posts, you run the risk that you will be misunderstood. If your object is to put things simply so the majority can understand you, then that is a failure. If your object is instead to inform and entertain those who are on the same level, you are a success. Please continue in your usual style and try not to pay any mind to those who do not "get" your sophisticated (despite the profanity) expression of your thoughts.

Finally (yes, I suppose this counts as more than two...and yes, I suppose this may be ironic), as much as I admire consistent logic in a specific discussion, I'd like to leave you with these quotes:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes." -- Walt Whitman

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -- Emerson

 
At 3/08/2006 09:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the SandMonkey! Independent thinker from the Middle East, unafraid, passionate and Funny!

 
At 3/08/2006 09:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, bud. I appreciate your honesty and courage, and hope that your side will win.

 
At 3/08/2006 09:45:00 PM, Blogger Amarji said...

You definitely don't lack the passion, SM, great post.

 
At 3/08/2006 09:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM, thanks for going off on an extreme tangent like that. All the hate I see from the hardcore islamsadists freaks had me worried that there were no "normal" folks in the mix. Keep it up human brother!

 
At 3/08/2006 10:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sandmonkey, I've been following your blog for a while, and I hope you'll find it in you to keep going, no matter how hard it gets sometimes. Because people do care, and we are listening, and you are changing minds, even if it's only a few at a time.

I noticed some other commenters left a few historic quotes for encouragement, I'd like to add one of my own.

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

This was said by some 19th century backwoods Illinois lawyer named Abraham Lincoln. Hope it helps. :)
Richard

 
At 3/08/2006 11:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey SM,
I'm another one part of the "I've been folowing this blog for months and i really like it" crowd. This is what blogging should be. I was blind but then I could see.

DM downunder

 
At 3/08/2006 11:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as always sam you don't disappoint. thank you for your thought provoking discourse.

 
At 3/09/2006 12:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Mark Shea always says in his blog:
We need more muslims like this!!

 
At 3/09/2006 12:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish that your wake up call will get to the Tomanbays of your world and that you will win the battle.

Lilly

 
At 3/09/2006 12:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey SM, i've been a loyal reader for several months, love the blog. very entertaining, and informtive. i'm a fellow investment banker so i appreciate your critical and analytical way of writing. keep up the good work!

 
At 3/09/2006 01:34:00 AM, Blogger doxRaven said...

you are a rare breed sandmonkey. a rare breed indeed.

That in itself makes you extreme - you choosing to follow your own path.

Jihadists choose not to think for themselves, and suicide bombers are not making hard choices in a way that is to be admired, like one of your readers suggested, they are mindless zombies programmed for hatred.

You stand on the extreme opposite side and I hope that through your blog you can attract more people to join you.

 
At 3/09/2006 05:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a magnificent rant! In the words of another renowned thinker, live long and prosper, Sandmonkey.
And NEVER stop writing.

 
At 3/09/2006 07:04:00 AM, Blogger Chip said...

Your hands must be cramping, Sandmonkey.

I already had you figured that way, but I read the whole thing for your fingers.

 
At 3/09/2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger RevJim said...

Sandmonkey, you're the one who rocks. I have been following your rants with much interest. I, too, am a Libertarian, and in America, the liberals think we're conservative nutjobs, and the conservatives think we're liberal crackpots.
Jim

 
At 3/09/2006 03:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading you since the beginning. But, this post still gave me better insight into who you are and what you represent. Thanks, Sam, and don't stop now!! Nothing is going to change, until more follow your lead.

Shari

 
At 3/09/2006 06:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just WOW! I'm a first-time visitor, Sandmonkey, and this was a delight to read. I nearly stood up and cheered in several spots!

Tuning Spork

 
At 3/09/2006 08:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the lady above said: "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." --Barry Goldwater.

But his grandfather spelled it "Goldwasser" and was Jewish, so I'm sure he's in on the conspiracy too.

(And yes, I think you do like this. I think you love to be the verbal-bomb-chucking radical. Which in no way means that what you're doing isn't right. :D )

 
At 3/09/2006 09:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More like you, please. Faster.

Cheers man,

-Columbia Dude

 
At 3/09/2006 10:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read the rest of the thread on Tomabay's site. It is pretty funny to watch your egytian buddies call you uncle tom. Fuck those chumps.

PS. Mo when you call people Nazi's or hitler you have already lost the arguement. Your an ass, and you are a parasite on American victomhood, which is one of the oddest things I have read on the internet.

 
At 3/10/2006 06:32:00 AM, Blogger MuppetLord said...

Well written Sandmonkey.

 
At 3/10/2006 09:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent article Sandmonkey. Keep on trying, it's all we can ever do.

 
At 3/10/2006 12:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time visitor. Phenomenal post. You have been bookmarked.

 
At 3/10/2006 10:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SM,
First, I think you took it too personally and although you said repeatedly that you won't get bitter over it you actually did, which I didn't expect from you, since you should be expecting criticism as long as you admit having "extreme" opinions. I did write about you and some other Egyptian Bloggers so do read it if you haven't; maybe you'll get to see it from another angle.

Second, you are indeed a controversial character hence you have (and will always do have) a large audience. Hell, I read your blog although I find a lot of your opinions very offensive and immature, but then again, you are successful at your goal of provoking hence I keep coming back.

Third, I just think you're too hot headed sometimes. You need to breath and sometimes think twice before you write what you write. Tomanbay didn't mean to insult you yet I sense you took huge offense! Chill buddy, if you have an opinion that you write about, expect others to not agree with you and fire at you.

I hope you don't find my honesty offensive since I thought its better to record it in the comments section instead of sending you a private email.

cheers,
AT

 
At 8/27/2006 09:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Over 90 comments. That is damn impressive. I doubt you will get to read this one:

Interesting, I just posted Crazy Extremists

These Islamic extremists have some serious anti-social issues. It is unfortunate that too many people in this world are willing adherents to rigid dogma.

It is disturbing how many willingly sacrifice their lives for someone else's objectives, all in the name of religion. Or could it be something else?

Could it be for the state and a sense of patriotism?

Could it be over land and/or other resources?

Or could the objective be to settle an old score? After all if it is always about and "eye for an eye" we will have constant war. Yes, there sure are lots of ways adherence to rigid dogma and unquestioning loyalty lead to bloodshed.

Please check out OhioDem1's How to Sell a War for more on this topic.


QuestionItNow Blogs

 
At 11/28/2006 10:06:00 AM, Blogger Jane Q Doe said...

why have you not updated since march??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home